Barts and the London (QMUL) A100 / A101 2020 Offer HoldersWatch
I've actually had a change of plan now, and have applied to the twin rooms in Floyer as these are appropriate for couples even if only one is a student at QMUL, which fits my situation perfectly.
However people seem to be saying that Floyer isn't available, even though I've already applied to it successfully so who knows?
Dumb question but how did you apply to accomadation? I've firmed Barts but I've gotten no information so don't know where to go
When did you firm Bart's?
As a med you only get the choice of Floyer house or Dawson, Whitechapel and Farringdon/Barbican areas respectively. You grade the choices from 1 to 8 in terms of room sizes etc ... I went for Dawson as you're in zone 1 with lots going on around you, it seems the rooms are a bit bigger and I like my world being larger than just the main hospital area. I've got friends all over London so the central location is great for transport around.
Us grads also get pumped together in the halls as 'mature students' 🤣🤣
What's security like in the halls?
First of all, congrats to everybody! I was wondering if anybody else is considering working part-time along med school?
I am pretty sure I'll firm Barts but still a bit afraid of living costs in London...
Is there anyone one here that can give some pros and cons on Barts accomadation? Floyer vs Dawson?
for the first two years students are mostly based in whitechapel for lectures with that 'ugly looking neuron pod' and sometimes at the QM mile end main campus, so for first year she stayed at Dawson (bc her parents were worried about her safety as well) but for second she moved into floyer.
will attach some pictures in the next post from my visit but
- near the lecture theatres - its literally a 2 minute walk I think you'd still be able to make 9ams if you woke up at 8:55 tbh
- about 7 minutes walk from the Whitechapel tube / overground station.
- near the hospital
- sainbury's near by, lots of food options but mostly asian / middle eastern
- also walkable distance to mile end campus
- more room sizes
(not trying to scare or put anyone off, just want to give a full picture to those who don't have the opportunity to visit - & tbh their accomodation is really somehow a deciding factor for me so uh i guess we're in the same boat?)
- to be completely honest i didn't feel safe walking alone there in broad daylight
- shops and streets were very narrow and small
- crime rates are slightly higher than Dawson? I talked to a nurse who was on her break sitting just outside floyer and according to her theres been two stabbing cases in the recent months at night BUT bc it's a part of the hospital they've been increasing the patrolling by guards at night
* but I asked the alumni and she said that we won't have any night time attachments or anything so thats fine
- slightly noisy bc of the construction nearby (from the hospital and also i believe for the elizabeth line)
- didn't see any other student accomodation nearby (as in private ones if anyone's considering)
- a wider range of rent £'s so you could potentially be allocated to a bigger / more expensive room?
- slightly more central than floyer
- quieter and safer?
- also lots of pubs & grocery stores around
- just a few more rooms more than Floyer = more opportunities to socialise? there's also a private accomodation right by named therese house and she said some of her friends also stayed there
- you're gonna need some sort of transportation to lectures - cycling, the tube, bc as said above most of the lectures are based in whitechapel, and that's gonna add up to your cost majorly if you're going in to uni so often
was pretty shook at the year
also: don't know how to attach videos here (is it even possible? lol) so here is the dropbox link to two videos i took when visiting floyer and yeah didn't visit dawson but i can ask my friend if any of you have further questions
We are Student Roost- awarded 'Best Student Accommodation Provider' by Student Crowd.
If you are considering private accommodation then why not check us out? https://www.studentroost.co.uk/locat...annequin-house
We offer spacious, modern ensuites and studios starting from as little as £199 per week. The closest station is Blackhorse Road located just 30s away from the accommodation which will take you into Central London within 17 mins!
Good Luck accommodation hunting!
Student Roost- Mannequin House
Mannequin House, 5 Blackhorse Lane, London E17 6SX.
+44(0)203 763 1973
[email protected] uk