The Student Room Group

Are there good reasons to keep PS4 and Xbox one when next gen comes?

What are some good reasons for keeping Xbox one and PS4 when ps5 and new Xbox come out?

I was thinking one upside would be it would be an extra console with lots of memory to keep your PS4/Xbox one games on, so you could have more games ready to play at a time.

I know ps5 and new Xbox will have backwards compatibility but it still might be worth keeping PS4 and Xbox one to have more games ready to play.
Original post by Wannasucceed
What are some good reasons for keeping Xbox one and PS4 when ps5 and new Xbox come out?

I was thinking one upside would be it would be an extra console with lots of memory to keep your PS4/Xbox one games on, so you could have more games ready to play at a time.

I know ps5 and new Xbox will have backwards compatibility but it still might be worth keeping PS4 and Xbox one to have more games ready to play.

Backwards compatibility may not cover all the games or be ready frm the get go.
Its a backup console, useful if you have a sibling or some friends still play ps4/xbox.

The incentive to get rid is that it will lose value even faster when next generation arrives. the amount of money you might get now, might mean its worth keeping over selling.
Original post by 999tigger
Backwards compatibility may not cover all the games or be ready frm the get go.
Its a backup console, useful if you have a sibling or some friends still play ps4/xbox.

The incentive to get rid is that it will lose value even faster when next generation arrives. the amount of money you might get now, might mean its worth keeping over selling.

Would bumping up a ps5 with memory cards or other external storage allow me to store more games so they're ready to play?

Does that work well currently on PS4? Can a game stored on an external storage device be played as easily as one on the main ps4's storage?
I'd keep them for a while and wait personally, the ps5 is predicted to cost a bomb. Pretty sure they were valuing it at around £450 upon first release.
Original post by MidgetFever
I'd keep them for a while and wait personally, the ps5 is predicted to cost a bomb. Pretty sure they were valuing it at around £450 upon first release.

How long do you think it'll take to fall in price?

Will PS4 be cheaper to buy after release of ps5?
Would bumping up a ps5 with memory cards or other external storage allow me to store more games so they're ready to play?

Does that work well currently on PS4? Can a game stored on an external storage device be played as easily as one on the main ps4's storage?

Yes , you can either fit a larger drive or add an external one. External ones tend to be a bit slower.
Theres just a whole lot of speculation at the moment.
If you dont have a 4 then you might be better getting one as lots will come on the market with games as people upgrade.
Wont suprise me if the 5 is a lot more than 450 and in the 600-800 range.
(edited 4 years ago)
How long do you think it'll take to fall in price?

Will PS4 be cheaper to buy after release of ps5?

Not entirely sure, depends if they can still hold up against the competition I suppose. I can imagine they'll be somewhat quick to drop it if the new Xbox ends up being cheaper. Same happened with the PS4 until they released the slim versions.

I can imagine so, they usually tend to pawn off deals upon the release of new consoles.
A few of reasons:

1) an immediate upgrade is not really necessary, for some time after launch few, if any, games will release solely on the new consoles so there will be little if any reason to upgrade from day 1 from a library size perspective, how long there will be, for want of a better term, "forwards compatibility" is unclear, however this is a good reason imo to stick with the Xbox if planning on staying within the Microsoft ecosystem and buying primarily from the Xbox store.
2) Time value of money, the £500 you pay to buy immediately is worth more than the £500 paying a year later (£500 picked as an arbitrary number)
3) It means you can decide which console to get with better information, you aren't buying on day 1 based on what you think will be offered, particularly when it comes to the gaems library, rather what you can see is on offer after a year or more

Quick Reply

Latest