The Student Room Group

Dementia in 20s? Am i losing my mind

It sounds a bit extreme but i really think my mind is officially deteriorating and not sure what to do. I used to be able to read normally, use my intelligence and focus etc even with severe depression. But i've started to forget everything, any piece of information someone tells me - names, numbers, dates, times. I repeatedly miss stuff and forget if i've written them down. I keep blanking out during convos. I can't read i zone out or forget what everything means. I ask the same question 3 times in 5 minutes not even able to listen to the response. I forget everything i've learned and cant engage in conversation. People have been reacting to me weirdly so i know its really bad, even my colleague every day is like - whats wrong with you? I can just sit and stare at a wall for ages and start tearing up. I start fights with my bf and get furious and aggressive. feel like im losing my mind.

These all sound like symptoms of dementia/alzheimers which can also happen in young people. Been to NHS CBT therapy but they never wanted to focus on these symptoms and i cant afford private. Wtf do i do?
Memory issues can be a symptom of depression in some people, but it's not spoken about a lot. i don't know what your CBT was for, but perhaps going back to your GP and asking for a different type of mental health intervention might help
Reply 2
What doesn't what
Reply 3
How do they not?
Both my grandparents and neighbour have alzheimers, it revolves around their lack of memory, sudden responses/aggression and confusion about everything
Reply 4
OK no need to be rude about it, kind volunteer
Reply 5
Like others have said people who suffer from AD genuinly arent aware of the problem, the fact you know there is an issue is a good sign.

As someone mentioned above memory issues arrise with depression, I can confirm this. I have been clincally depressed for 4 years and within the last year my ability to remember stuff, speak, even concentrate have been effected. I often stutter or forget words completely, I cant sit and concentrate on things for longer then a few minutes.
I have been put onto CBT aswell as medications to help with this along depression. So I suggest you go speak to your GP, the quicker you go see someone the quicker it gets fixed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending