Dementia in 20s? Am i losing my mind

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
It sounds a bit extreme but i really think my mind is officially deteriorating and not sure what to do. I used to be able to read normally, use my intelligence and focus etc even with severe depression. But i've started to forget everything, any piece of information someone tells me - names, numbers, dates, times. I repeatedly miss stuff and forget if i've written them down. I keep blanking out during convos. I can't read i zone out or forget what everything means. I ask the same question 3 times in 5 minutes not even able to listen to the response. I forget everything i've learned and cant engage in conversation. People have been reacting to me weirdly so i know its really bad, even my colleague every day is like - whats wrong with you? I can just sit and stare at a wall for ages and start tearing up. I start fights with my bf and get furious and aggressive. feel like im losing my mind.

These all sound like symptoms of dementia/alzheimers which can also happen in young people. Been to NHS CBT therapy but they never wanted to focus on these symptoms and i cant afford private. Wtf do i do?
MilMed2020
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Memory issues can be a symptom of depression in some people, but it's not spoken about a lot. i don't know what your CBT was for, but perhaps going back to your GP and asking for a different type of mental health intervention might help
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
...These all sound like symptoms of dementia/alzheimers which can also happen in young people...
It doesn't.

Go and see your GP again.

(Original post by MilMed2020)
Memory issues can be a symptom of depression in some people, but it's not spoken about a lot....
Exactly. In fact the name of the condition is called... pseudodementia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudodementia) .
Last edited by ecolier; 7 months ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ecolier)
It doesn't.

Go and see your GP again.
What doesn't what
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
What doesn't what
Your symptoms do not sound like typical Alzheimer's Disease at all.
Anonymous #1
Your symptoms do not sound like typical Alzheimer's Disease at all.
How do they not?
Both my grandparents and neighbour have alzheimers, it revolves around their lack of memory, sudden responses/aggression and confusion about everything
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
How do they not?
Both my grandparents and neighbour have alzheimers, it revolves around their lack of memory, sudden responses/aggression and confusion about everything
Ok, for a start most people with AD do not have insight, i.e. they don't know something is wrong.

I don't want to get bogged down with this, go and see your GP. You most likely have depression-related memory issues - but again TSR is not the place for a diagnosis.
Last edited by ecolier; 7 months ago
Anonymous #1
Ok, for a start most people with AD do not have insight, i.e. they don't know something is wrong.

I don't want to get bogged down with this, go and see your GP.
OK no need to be rude about it, kind volunteer
Orkuda
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Like others have said people who suffer from AD genuinly arent aware of the problem, the fact you know there is an issue is a good sign.

As someone mentioned above memory issues arrise with depression, I can confirm this. I have been clincally depressed for 4 years and within the last year my ability to remember stuff, speak, even concentrate have been effected. I often stutter or forget words completely, I cant sit and concentrate on things for longer then a few minutes.
I have been put onto CBT aswell as medications to help with this along depression. So I suggest you go speak to your GP, the quicker you go see someone the quicker it gets fixed
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.91%
I'm not sure (32)
4.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.33%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.34%
I'm not a current university student (326)
47.73%

Watched Threads