The Student Room Group

Music or Computer Science A level?

I am choosing my A levels and I don't know whether CS or Music would be best as my 4th subject. My other subjects are:
Maths
Economics
Geography
It depends on what you want to do at uni and what subject you like more.
I would probably go with music because you've already got maths and economics to show that you're a logical thinker, music shows you're capable of different skills.
Reply 2
im currently looking at courses and i lean toward a geography BA course or an economics course or a combination of the two. However I enjoy computer science as a gcse, but not sure if I want to study it at university. Music has always been my passion and I love the composition + performance aspects, but find the written exam a bit boring
Original post by opantazis
im currently looking at courses and i lean toward a geography BA course or an economics course or a combination of the two. However I enjoy computer science as a gcse, but not sure if I want to study it at university. Music has always been my passion and I love the composition + performance aspects, but find the written exam a bit boring

I think you have what you need for economics (not too sure about geography)
Ask your teacher what exam board you'll take for computer science and look at the specification because it might be really different from gcse (I was going to take biology but I really didn't like most aspects of the course)
You could take CS and get a different qualification for music (I know you can get UCAS points for it if you're level 4 or above)
I think if you've already got the three that will get you into uni for whichever course you want to do then it doesn't hurt to take music for fun.

I'm doing maths, further maths, physics, and drama. Drama is something I'm passionate about and it makes me more confident, it's a break from sitting at a desk all day. I think the same thing could be said about music for you :smile:
I did a-level and BTEC music and I loved them both, even the stuff we had to study for the exam.
If you want to do geography, I would say it doesn't matter which you choose, so I would go with whatever you prefer and enjoy more.
If you're worried about not enjoying the a-level course content, it might be worth seeing if your college offers the BTEC. I took a subsidiary diploma, which is equivalent to one a-level. The BTEC focuses a lot more on practical musicianship, which sounds like something you'd be interested in. Only issue you might face is it you're a classical musician; the BTEC is more geared towards popular musicians.
As above you could do grade exams, but it's grade 6+ where you start to earn UCAS points, not grade 4.
Honestly, you don't need to do either, you've already got 3 options, which is all you need. If you really cant decide, you could just do 3 a-levels.
If you're intent on doing four though, I would go for whatever you think you'd enjoy more. Have a look at the specs for the courses your chosen college is running and see which you'd enjoy more.
Reply 5
My school doesn't offer BTECs, Im not in the UK. Also, I will drop one A level next year, it is just compulsory to choose 4. Im not a classical musician, I am grade 7 at electric guitar and grade 6 at bass guitar
Reply 6
Original post by twisteddd
I think you have what you need for economics (not too sure about geography)
Ask your teacher what exam board you'll take for computer science and look at the specification because it might be really different from gcse (I was going to take biology but I really didn't like most aspects of the course)
You could take CS and get a different qualification for music (I know you can get UCAS points for it if you're level 4 or above)
I think if you've already got the three that will get you into uni for whichever course you want to do then it doesn't hurt to take music for fun.

I'm doing maths, further maths, physics, and drama. Drama is something I'm passionate about and it makes me more confident, it's a break from sitting at a desk all day. I think the same thing could be said about music for you :smile:

thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply

Latest