The Student Room Group

Ways to strengthen medicine application?

I wasn’t really sure where in this forum to post this but I’m looking for ways that I can increase my chances of getting into medical school to make up for my gcses which weren’t as high as I wanted. (D*,9,9,8,8,7, 66,5) although I am looking into resitting my maths to bring it up to at least a 6.
- Also any advice on admissions tests (both ucat and bmat) would be appreciated !
Stuff I’ve done/ am doing so far:
St. John ambulance cadets
Part time job ( for 8 months so far)
House captain- running events and assemblies
Homework club supervisor- running afterschool club supporting children with their homework
Reading mentor since September
Student mentor (helping a student through gcses)
Expedition- 3 weeks volunteering in India, fundraising, organizing events
Young doctors course
Helped out at open evenings
Hobbies: swimming, horse riding.

I’m also dong my epq which is medicine related (creating a children’s book on health) I’ve applied to volunteer at a hospice and have hopefully got some form of clinical work experience. I am also aiming to do an online course which is medicine related and potentially run a Christian club at school. Is there anything else I could do to boost my application (aside from good admissions tests and a levels ofc)?
Post edited automatically
Original post by l18393t
I wasn’t really sure where in this forum to post this but I’m looking for ways that I can increase my chances of getting into medical school to make up for my gcses which weren’t as high as I wanted. (D*,9,9,8,8,7, 66,5) although I am looking into resitting my maths to bring it up to at least a 6.
- Also any advice on admissions tests (both ucat and bmat) would be appreciated !
Stuff I’ve done/ am doing so far:
St. John ambulance cadets
Part time job ( for 8 months so far)
House captain- running events and assemblies
Homework club supervisor- running afterschool club supporting children with their homework
Reading mentor since September
Student mentor (helping a student through gcses)
Expedition- 3 weeks volunteering in India, fundraising, organizing events
Young doctors course
Helped out at open evenings
Hobbies: swimming, horse riding.

I’m also dong my epq which is medicine related (creating a children’s book on health) I’ve applied to volunteer at a hospice and have hopefully got some form of clinical work experience. I am also aiming to do an online course which is medicine related and potentially run a Christian club at school. Is there anything else I could do to boost my application (aside from good admissions tests and a levels ofc)?

Work experience and volunteering is key here, you need to get that sorted. It's also important to apply strategically (i.e. based on your GCSEs, UCAT etc), but that will come later.

Also, you won't be able to bring up everything in that long list in your PS or at interview. You need to think carefully about what you've gained out of each thing and why it's helped you decide to become a doctor. Then you need to pick only the most relevant things for inclusion; you don't have unlimited characters or interview time :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest