Lazy1212342
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi everyone,

I am not keen to go into much detail as I feel utterly disappointed with myself and obviously don't want to make matters worse. I am a secondary PGCE student, well I should say I was. I enrolled onto the course in September 2018, and unfortunately failed second placement. I was then given the opportunity to retake placement after September 2019, but my training provider have backed out from finding me a placement. I've been told they will put in an application to extend time further for me to resit placement, but still not guaranteed that I will get a placement. & I am now exhausted!

I do not wish to disclose the reason as to why that decision has been made.

I am getting sick off it and don't think I want to continue with Secondary PGCE anymore. They have advised me that I could maybe consider other routes (Primary PGCE/FE etc). However, they were not so clear themselves and have told me to get in touch with a careers adviser.

So to sum it up, I would like to know whether I could reapply for a course such as primary PGCE for the next academic year, bearing in mind my current circumstances. Would I be allowed to enroll onto the course? Teaching is my passion, be it secondary or primary. I love being in the classroom, teaching children etc. but I feel I have wasted a lot off time! Would it be worth it?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Lazy1212342)
Hi everyone,

I am not keen to go into much detail as I feel utterly disappointed with myself and obviously don't want to make matters worse. I am a secondary PGCE student, well I should say I was. I enrolled onto the course in September 2018, and unfortunately failed second placement. I was then given the opportunity to retake placement after September 2019, but my training provider have backed out from finding me a placement. I've been told they will put in an application to extend time further for me to resit placement, but still not guaranteed that I will get a placement. & I am now exhausted!

I am getting sick off it and don't think I want to continue with Secondary PGCE anymore. They have advised me that I could maybe consider other routes (Primary PGCE/FE etc). However, they were not so clear themselves and have told me to get in touch with a careers adviser.

So to sum it up, I would like to know whether I could reapply for a course such as primary PGCE for the next academic year, bearing in mind my current circumstances. Would I be allowed to enroll onto the course? Teaching is my passion, be it secondary or primary. I love being in the classroom, teaching children etc. but I feel I have wasted a lot off time! Would it be worth it?
Your username is perhaps revealing, plus your insistence on not wanting to disclose the reasons why you failed the placement. I thus feel that there is rather more to your story than the usual 'found the PGCE difficult, should I carry on?' and it isn't really possible to answer your question.

I suspect the placement was failed for reasons other than just 'not coming up to the required standard'. Thus, were you to apply for another PGCE, the circumstances regarding your failed second placement would be examined. You need to ask yourself whether, realistically, you would be offered a place were such an examination to take place.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Lazy1212342)
Hi everyone,

I agree with Reality Check - The reason you failed placement and the uni won't find you another would have to be disclosed and examined. If these were pretty serious failings on your part, then it's unlikely you would get a place on a different course.

Primary teaching especially is more competitive than secondary as well- in some secondary subjects, you basically just have to have a pulse to get on the PGCE, but in Primary it is still a competitive process.

Do you have any experience with the primary age group? Primary teachers tend to put in more hours than secondary teachers, so if you were struggling with e.g. workload, primary may not be an easy option.

I'd suggest maybe calling a few providers and asking to discuss the situation in an informal way before applying.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (271)
34%
No (526)
66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed