The Student Room Group

More meaningful jobs after big4 audit?

So to give some background, I did a liberal arts/Econ degree at a red brick, graduating in 2016.

I then went and qualified with a small firm in audit. I've always liked numbers and didn't hate it there but it was very underpaid and they're struggling to maintain their existing audits, let alone grow the firm!

I went and joined a London big4 and it has been okay. I have been here for a year now but I am completely at a loss as to what to do after - I know this board is mainly for students, so I might be looking in the wrong place, but if any one has ideas of things they've gone into where they were genuinely happier and felt more 'part' of something, please let me know!

I am not particularly fussed about earnings, going to the big4 netted me substantially less than industry but I know one thing for sure is that I'd get bored doing monthly management accounts.

Are there any new/exciting areas to get into? I'm prepared to put in some more studying to get there but finding out the 'what' is the big issue, rather than the 'when' or 'how'.

Thanks for any ideas!
Reply 1
Original post by acc2020
So to give some background, I did a liberal arts/Econ degree at a red brick, graduating in 2016.

I then went and qualified with a small firm in audit. I've always liked numbers and didn't hate it there but it was very underpaid and they're struggling to maintain their existing audits, let alone grow the firm!

I went and joined a London big4 and it has been okay. I have been here for a year now but I am completely at a loss as to what to do after - I know this board is mainly for students, so I might be looking in the wrong place, but if any one has ideas of things they've gone into where they were genuinely happier and felt more 'part' of something, please let me know!

I am not particularly fussed about earnings, going to the big4 netted me substantially less than industry but I know one thing for sure is that I'd get bored doing monthly management accounts.

Are there any new/exciting areas to get into? I'm prepared to put in some more studying to get there but finding out the 'what' is the big issue, rather than the 'when' or 'how'.

Thanks for any ideas!

Which department are you in at present? Mainline audit?

Have you thought about civil service jobs? Some of these can be really interesting - pricing up major projects for example. Or finance business partner type roles?
Reply 2
Is there not something at your BIG4 firm? A sideways move into a more interesting department and out of audit?
There would be multiple opportunities on your way if you're planning to head out of a Big4. Experience at a Big4 is respected and it will sit as a brand on your CV. You can explore opportunities in the fields of accounting, finance, operations, treasury, consulting, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending