The Student Room Group

Doing A Levels without taking GCSEs

Is it possible to do A levels without taking GCSEs?

I have been studying in a Canadian school up until grade 11. My parents are moving to the UK, so I have the choice of doing IB or A levels. Knowing that I'm terrible at maths and sciences, I know IB is not a choice for me. I would like to study history, english literature, and english language in A levels but I don't know whether it is possible to do those A levels without taking GCSEs. I did those subjects in freshman and sophomore years in highschool, and have top notch final grades in them. If I do end up doing the A levels in those subjects and wind up applying to universities, will I be less of a candidate for universities than people who did both GCSEs and A levels?

I really need to know a definitive answer. I have been anxious about it for a while.
Reply 1
Lots of people come to the U.K. after doing the equivalent of GCSE grades in their country to start a levels, and other people apply to U.K. universities without a levels and their own country qualifications. You have excellent grades in the equivalent Canadian qualifications so you should be fine.
Original post by TomCADON
Is it possible to do A levels without taking GCSEs?

I have been studying in a Canadian school up until grade 11. My parents are moving to the UK, so I have the choice of doing IB or A levels. Knowing that I'm terrible at maths and sciences, I know IB is not a choice for me. I would like to study history, english literature, and english language in A levels but I don't know whether it is possible to do those A levels without taking GCSEs. I did those subjects in freshman and sophomore years in highschool, and have top notch final grades in them. If I do end up doing the A levels in those subjects and wind up applying to universities, will I be less of a candidate for universities than people who did both GCSEs and A levels?

I really need to know a definitive answer. I have been anxious about it for a while.

IB is really hard to resit as far as I know.
A levels are better , accepted everywhere and better supported.
If you intend to go to a UK school they normally require a grade 6 at GCSE, but if you have grade 11 equivalents you can use those.
When you say up to year 11 do you mean you only finished year 10 or that you have the year 11 / GCSE equivalent?

You will need GCSE Maths and English Language for nearly all unis and courses. To be completed before applying to uni in most cases.
Some unis have other GCSE requirements and you would have to negotiate with them. Cant work out if you have the Canadian GCSE equivalent or not. If yes, wont be an issue. If no, then need to be checked out.

Do you have a UK passport?
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
IB is really hard to resit as far as I know.
A levels are better , accepted everywhere and better supported.
If you intend to go to a UK school they normally require a grade 6 at GCSE, but if you have grade 11 equivalents you can use those.
When you say up to year 11 do you mean you only finished year 10 or that you have the year 11 / GCSE equivalent?

You will need GCSE Maths and English Language for nearly all unis and courses. To be completed before applying to uni in most cases.
Some unis have other GCSE requirements and you would have to negotiate with them. Cant work out if you have the Canadian GCSE equivalent or not. If yes, wont be an issue. If no, then need to be checked out.

Do you have a UK passport?

Thanks for the reply.

Grade 11 in the UK system is year 12. I am supposed to enroll into year 12.

No, I do not have a UK passport.
Thanks for the reply.

Grade 11 in the UK system is year 12. I am supposed to enroll into year 12.

No, I do not have a UK passport.

So you finished year 10?

When are you coming to the UK? Month and year plus do you know where you will live.

How old will you be on 1 Sept 2020?

School year in UK starts in Sept.
I assume this will be for a state school?

If you dont have a passport then I assume you know you will be paying international fees at uni?
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
So you finished year 10?

When are you coming to the UK? Month and year plus do you know where you will live.

How old will you be on 1 Sept 2020?

School year in UK starts in Sept.
I assume this will be for a state school?

If you dont have a passport then I assume you know you will be paying international fees at uni?

No, I finished year 11. I will probably start school in September of 2020 in Birmingham. I will be attending a state school.

I will still be 15 on Sept 1st.

Yeah, I am aware that I will be paying international fees. But I still have the option of returning back to Canada.
No, I finished year 11. I will probably start school in September of 2020 in Birmingham. I will be attending a state school.

I will still be 15 on Sept 1st.

Yeah, I am aware that I will be paying international fees. But I still have the option of returning back to Canada.

Think it makes more sense to start Y10 and GCSE, but the school will decide. They might let you start Y11, but there have been a few posts like that and people have struggled.

You cant start A levels till Y 12 as they are a big step up. They are not going to let you start them at 15.

Your alternative if you believe you are that bright is to self teach and skip school.
Reply 7
Original post by Deggs_14
Lots of people come to the U.K. after doing the equivalent of GCSE grades in their country to start a levels, and other people apply to U.K. universities without a levels and their own country qualifications. You have excellent grades in the equivalent Canadian qualifications so you should be fine.

I have heard that I cannot do A level English and English Literature without completing their respective GCSEs. Is that true?
I have heard that I cannot do A level English and English Literature without completing their respective GCSEs. Is that true?

Yeah, it is.

Quick Reply

Latest