average_human
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Could someone help me analyse this paragraph and link it back to the question? I got a bit stuck, thanks.

C) ‘John Snow’s work on cholera was a turning point in the prevention of infectious diseases c1700-c1900.’ How far do you agree? Explain your answer.
One reason why it can be argued that John Snow’s work on cholera was a turning point in the prevention of infectious disease c1700-c1900 is he proved that cholera is a waterborne disease. John Snow investigated an outbreak of cholera in Soho in the 1850s. He carried out statistical analysis by plotting each death from cholera on a map. Also, A nearby brewery thought there would be deaths as they were near the pumps, but their workers drank beer instead, and Snow noticed that none of the employees had contracted cholera. As a result, he was able to locate the centre of the epidemic and hypothesised that the Broad Street Pump was the source of the disease, and the contaminated water from it was the reason people were getting cholera. John Snow persuaded the government to shut down the well, and as a consequence the death rates fell, proving Snow’s hypothesis right. This evidence shows that ...
Leia10101
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by average_human)
Could someone help me analyse this paragraph and link it back to the question? I got a bit stuck, thanks.

C) ‘John Snow’s work on cholera was a turning point in the prevention of infectious diseases c1700-c1900.’ How far do you agree? Explain your answer.
One reason why it can be argued that John Snow’s work on cholera was a turning point in the prevention of infectious disease c1700-c1900 is he proved that cholera is a waterborne disease. John Snow investigated an outbreak of cholera in Soho in the 1850s. He carried out statistical analysis by plotting each death from cholera on a map. Also, A nearby brewery thought there would be deaths as they were near the pumps, but their workers drank beer instead, and Snow noticed that none of the employees had contracted cholera. As a result, he was able to locate the centre of the epidemic and hypothesised that the Broad Street Pump was the source of the disease, and the contaminated water from it was the reason people were getting cholera. John Snow persuaded the government to shut down the well, and as a consequence the death rates fell, proving Snow’s hypothesis right. This evidence shows that ...
Disease can be waterborne as opposed to the previous belief that illness was miasmic. As a result more care was placed in sanitation and clean water supply which stopped the cholera outbreak. Not only did John Snow prevent the spread of cholera but he also informed people of how disease could be spread, thus allowing future prevention of deadly diseases.

Hope this is okay 😂😂😂
average_human
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
amazing thank you 👍
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
15.21%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (66)
30.41%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (25)
11.52%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (18)
8.29%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.53%
I think it's an unfair expectation (60)
27.65%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.38%

Watched Threads