The Student Room Group

school trip to france

so we’re going to France as a year 13 class for about 5 days on the 2nd April. Does anyone have any ideas about whether it might get potentially cancelled due to coronavirus??
(we’re going to the capital btw)

Scroll to see replies

It is possible but very unlikely. Although things can change in a one month time period
Original post by izziwills2002
so we’re going to France as a year 13 class for about 5 days on the 2nd April. Does anyone have any ideas about whether it might get potentially cancelled due to coronavirus??

I think its possible, all depends how it develops. It would not surprise me if it was, especially if the situation worsens in France. People are having trips to Italy cancelled. A month is a long time in the life of this virus, so the government of either country could have something to say as well. See how it goes. If the situation worsened then would your parents want you going?
(edited 4 years ago)
I wouldnt say so. Just follow the advice from NHS. Get checked and screened etc. I just had a friend return from Thailand and he worked a couple of days later. Hes fine. But if he develops symptoms he needs to self-isolate. Thats just about it really
Reply 4
I think it likely will be cancelled. The situation is getting quite bad in France due to local transmission, and it may get just as bad here. Of course you never know what will happen, but I think the peak of the outbreak will probably occur between April to June.
Reply 5
It may be of interest to you to know that the French government has cancelled all school trips due to Coronavirus.
Original post by Nut tree
It may be of interest to you to know that the French government has cancelled all school trips due to Coronavirus.

do you have a source for this? i tried to look it up but it seems like this only applies to school trips from france to elsewhere
Reply 7
Yes it concerns any French school trips leaving France. A French school has just had its trip to America cancelled as part of the global ban on all school trips. With 653 people contaminated and 9 deaths, schools and childcare has just been closed in L'Oise and Le Haut Rhin. Do you really want to go to France on a school trip given the circumstances? Getting medical care abroad is difficult in normal circumstances. If any of you go down with Coronavirus, you could find yourself alone, abroad, unable to express your symptoms with enough precision, unable to return home, with very high costs... Why not put the trip off until the situation has stabilised.
Reply 8
Oh and a Parisian bus driver has gone down with it...
Yes it concerns any French school trips leaving France. A French school has just had its trip to America cancelled as part of the global ban on all school trips. With 653 people contaminated and 9 deaths, schools and childcare has just been closed in L'Oise and Le Haut Rhin. Do you really want to go to France on a school trip given the circumstances? Getting medical care abroad is difficult in normal circumstances. If any of you go down with Coronavirus, you could find yourself alone, abroad, unable to express your symptoms with enough precision, unable to return home, with very high costs... Why not put the trip off until the situation has stabilised.

i see - unfortunately it’s not really my decision due to it being a school organised trip and they are the people that would be responsible for refunds etc
considering that they’ve just asked for an additional payment to go on the eiffel tower i don’t think my school are convinced in stopping the trip just yet but we’ll see 😬
It's possible given where one of the regions is. Or just that the school may feel that they do not want to be accused of not taking the risk seriously. Far more of the school's pupils are probably in danger from parents who are bad drivers or from asthma from car emissions, but that risk will be deemed acceptable by comparison.
i see - unfortunately it’s not really my decision due to it being a school organised trip and they are the people that would be responsible for refunds etc
considering that they’ve just asked for an additional payment to go on the eiffel tower i don’t think my school are convinced in stopping the trip just yet but we’ll see 😬

I see. Given the situation, it might be better to make your own mind up. It may interest you to know that from Monday 9th March, if you want to pay for anything (water, souvenirs, entrance) at the Eiffel Tower, you will need a bank card. I don't know if this is linked to the topical question as to whether coins and notes are spreading Coronavirus.

This kind of hysteria is slightly unhelpful, especially when talking to a pupil about a school trip. We are still in the EU and therefore medical care is still provided, should someone fall unwell. Not to mention that school trips are insured independently up to the hilt. All schools are carefully observing the advice from Public Health England and will make decisions based on that and in conjunction with staff/parent views in the school itself. The situation is changing daily - it is likely that unnecessary travel will be avoided, however.

I used to teach and there was a risk assessment taken before each and every trip. The school will be weighing up the risks and keeping a close eye on the Foreign Office's travel advice. Also it may be taken out of the school's hands anyway if, say, the flight to Paris is cancelled.
welp update:
the trip got cancelled today, the skl want to try postpone it to the end of summer but there’s no point really in going anymore so i think most of the class will ask for a refund
hopefully the insurance company doesn’t go bust?
welp update:
the trip got cancelled today, the skl want to try postpone it to the end of summer but there’s no point really in going anymore so i think most of the class will ask for a refund

to be fair I dont think you should even worry about a refund. Its one of them things. If you get ill its not a huge deal, whats 1 - 2 week in bed?

But its best to be ill in your own country rather than elsewhere
Original post by anime<3gaming
to be fair I dont think you should even worry about a refund. Its one of them things. If you get ill its not a huge deal, whats 1 - 2 week in bed?

But its best to be ill in your own country rather than elsewhere

my mums immunodeficient so sure i’ll be alright if I get it but she might not be.
and as for the refund it was 600 quid so i think my parents would like it back haha
welp update:

A ski holiday with no snow is pretty pointless. Lots of people in the travel industry will lose their jobs.
Not sure if France cancelled trips, but the UK govt did, which is the important trigger for insurance. You are better off in the UK and to go next year.
I think that was SKL as in school, not ski.....
"Hysteria"... so who was right about Covid? I really didn't appreciate the word "hysteria" when I was truly trying to help and provide the information I had. Despite the pandemic and the terrible situation people have found themselves in, no apology has been forthcoming so I suggest you stop sending me messages asking me to help answer other questions.
Original post by Simbasoul
This kind of hysteria is slightly unhelpful, especially when talking to a pupil about a school trip. We are still in the EU and therefore medical care is still provided, should someone fall unwell. Not to mention that school trips are insured independently up to the hilt. All schools are carefully observing the advice from Public Health England and will make decisions based on that and in conjunction with staff/parent views in the school itself. The situation is changing daily - it is likely that unnecessary travel will be avoided, however.

Quick Reply

Latest