The Student Room Group

What should I do - urgent advice please

I have an a level bio mock tomorrow 2 hours and I don't know most of the content so would probably get a D or an E on it.
Should I stay up all night? What should I do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I have an a level bio mock tomorrow 2 hours and I don't know most of the content so would probably get a D or an E on it.

Pulling an all nighter means your brain will be tired. You wont concentrate well and youll perform even worse. Revise what you can now. Get 7-9 hours sleep (depending on when you need to wake up) and do extra revision in the morning prior to the exam.
it's a mock who cares
Reply 3
Original post by RainThorn
Pulling an all nighter means your brain will be tired. You wont concentrate well and youll perform even worse. Revise what you can now. Get 7-9 hours sleep (depending on when you need to wake up) and do extra revision in the morning prior to the exam.

Would 5 hours of sleep be bad?
Reply 4

Its definitely NOT a good idea to stay up all night, it will be worse if you do, you need to be able to stay awake/ think during the test, so make sure that you get 8 hours sleep. But if you do want to do some revision, at least get 7 hours sleep. I also have a bio and maths test tomorrow... but they're obviously not as big as mock tests. Just try to stay calm, ultimately how much will these mocks effect you? The most important thing to do is to make sure that you are prepared for the real exams, because there's isn't really much you are able to do now.
But if you'd feel calmer spending more time revising, I think you should do the thing that makes you the least stressed :smile:
I know there's a lot of pressure on you to get good grades and it's easy to compare your grades with your friends, but thinking about the bigger picture always helps me to calm down...eg: Will these grades matter in the long run? Will i remember what i got in this one mock in 10 years time? Will i learn from this mock/ will i be prepared for the real test?
Sorry for the long post, I hope this helps! Good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by sheathcote
Its definitely NOT a good idea to stay up all night, it will be worse if you do, you need to be able to stay awake/ think during the test, so make sure that you get 8 hours sleep. But if you do want to do some revision, at least get 7 hours sleep. I also have a bio and maths test tomorrow... but they're obviously not as big as mock tests. Just try to stay calm, ultimately how much will these mocks effect you? The most important thing to do is to make sure that you are prepared for the real exams, because there's isn't really much you are able to do now.
But if you'd feel calmer spending more time revising, I think you should do the thing that makes you the least stressed :smile:
I know there's a lot of pressure on you to get good grades and it's easy to compare your grades with your friends, but thinking about the bigger picture always helps me to calm down...eg: Will these grades matter in the long run? Will i remember what i got in this one mock in 10 years time? Will i learn from this mock/ will i be prepared for the real test?
Sorry for the long post, I hope this helps! Good luck!

But if i have an energy drink or coffee in the morning i would have energy for my exam and then after its just the weekend so i can sleep however long i want?
Reply 6
The question is, why don't you know the content? Didn't you revise? Was the mock announced suddenly?

If I were you I'd revise tonight, get 7-8 hours sleep, revise in the morning and admit you aren't going to understand everything. Afterall, it is a mock.
But if i have an energy drink or coffee in the morning i would have energy for my exam and then after its just the weekend so i can sleep however long i want?

Nooooooooooooo caffiene. I wouldnt advise that at all. Get enough sleep
I'd personally wake up an hour or two earlier but sleep for a while as your brain tends to focus more in the morning.
Reply 9
Original post by jay0804
The question is, why don't you know the content? Didn't you revise? Was the mock announced suddenly?

If I were you I'd revise tonight, get 7-8 hours sleep, revise in the morning and admit you aren't going to understand everything. Afterall, it is a mock.

i have made notes on all the topics , i just havent got round to doing exam questions on them . I made the notes a month or so ago so i dont remember all the details.
Thanks everyone ill try get some sleep now and then wake up early.
i have made notes on all the topics , i just havent got round to doing exam questions on them . I made the notes a month or so ago so i dont remember all the details.

revise the notes. Go to bed before 12am, Get a good breakfast. revise notes again/revise any notes you couldnt before.
Original post by RainThorn
revise the notes. Go to bed before 12am, Get a good breakfast. revise notes again/revise any notes you couldnt before.

Thank-you
ritalin
Original post by coronavirus69
ritalin

I don't have ADHD?
I don't have ADHD?

helps u focus
Original post by coronavirus69
helps u focus

OP shouldnt take any medication unless prescribed by a dr or over the counter. Theres serious risks to taking medication you dont need to.

lol to the people who are saying not to do an all nighter, i’m not sure they realise that once you’ve done your exam you can have a deep sleep after and make up the hours.
do an all nighter, drink lots of coffee, and you’ll be fine. just don’t make this a regular habit and more of a one off because long term they don’t work, short term they do.
Original post by izziwills2002
lol to the people who are saying not to do an all nighter, i’m not sure they realise that once you’ve done your exam you can have a deep sleep after and make up the hours.
do an all nighter, drink lots of coffee, and you’ll be fine. just don’t make this a regular habit and more of a one off because long term they don’t work, short term they do.

All nighters should be saved for university when you really need to do them lol
Original post by izziwills2002

An all nighter with an exam at the end is stupid. You’re leaving the hours when you most need mental energy to the point when you’re most tired.

all nighters to finish essays etc are fine but it’s a bad tactic for exams and revision.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending