The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Requires Modern Foreign Languages GCSEs??

So I was doing some research on the requirement for Politics and International Relations in UCL and it says MFL is required for GCSEs. I had no clue what I even wanted to do in year 9 so I didn't take a language. However, the website says UCL offers summer schools prior to enrolment and a few other options which I don't really understand. But my main question is.. how does this all work? Would I have a weaker application due to not doing a GCSE language?
I believe that you're application won't be negatively affected if you apply without an MFL GCSE, rather if you recieve an offere you will have to take a language module while you are there or do the summer school thing. This site has some more info on it:https://www.ucl.ac.uk/languages-international-education/study/modules/courses-and-applying/ucl-modern-foreign-language-requirement

You could also email the UCL admissions team if you want more information.

Hope this helps!
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Pretty sure you can fulfil this requirement in first year no matter what you are studying
Reply 3
Original post by Noodlzzz
Pretty sure you can fulfil this requirement in first year no matter what you are studying

thank you!
Reply 4
Original post by _Mia101
I believe that you're application won't be negatively affected if you apply without an MFL GCSE, rather if you recieve an offere you will have to take a language module while you are there or do the summer school thing. This site has some more info on it:https://www.ucl.ac.uk/languages-international-education/study/modules/courses-and-applying/ucl-modern-foreign-language-requirement

You could also email the UCL admissions team if you want more information.

Hope this helps!

ahh i see. thanks v much :smile:
i thought the same thing!!! i was also looking at politics and IR but i only got a 4 in gcse german, but I'm dyslexic so i don't know if they will overlook my grade?
Original post by saskiacummings
i thought the same thing!!! i was also looking at politics and IR but i only got a 4 in gcse german, but I'm dyslexic so i don't know if they will overlook my grade?

I believe that you make get extenuating cirmustances (and possibly WA) as you are dyslexic. But did you not already get exam concessions when you were writing your papers?

As long as you meet minimum requirements, don't fret too much. Just make sure you have a good PS and if they have them Admissions tests (and interviews).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending