The Student Room Group

Need help deciding on firm choice, is red brick always best?

After going to the salford applicant day a few days ago my mind has completely changed, I felt a lot more comfortable and could see myself being happy there much more compared to all of the other unis I’ve visited.
I’m trying to decide whether I should put salford as my first choice or Liverpool. I feel like it may be silly to let my Liverpool offer go to waste because I’ve gotten a really generous offer (BBB) for a quite competitive course (architecture) And I don’t want to limit myself by not going to a red brick but my main reasons for not wanting to go to Liverpool is because it’s too close to home/family and I want the independence and new experiences. Also it being city based is off putting salford is much more appealing to me because of the campus style and Manchester is very close so the opportunities for live briefs and industry connections are strong so I wouldn’t be missing out on that.
Any advice would help a lot as I’m very torn at the moment but my heart is definitely in Salford I just don’t want to make any big decisions until I’m as informed as I can be.
in the nss, the course at liverpool had 83% student satisfaction, a graduate salary of £18k, and 95% in work or study. however, salford had 92% student satisfaction, a graduate salary of £22k and 85% in work or study. the liverpool degree may mean you have easier access to higher level careers (occasionally jobs have a preference for red brick unis), but if you’d be happier at salford i don’t think you’d end up losing out on too much.
Original post by blackthrn
in the nss, the course at liverpool had 83% student satisfaction, a graduate salary of £18k, and 95% in work or study. however, salford had 92% student satisfaction, a graduate salary of £22k and 85% in work or study. the liverpool degree may mean you have easier access to higher level careers (occasionally jobs have a preference for red brick unis), but if you’d be happier at salford i don’t think you’d end up losing out on too much.

Thank you this was quite helpful! Salford have just made my offer unconditional and I’ve been strongly advised not to take any unconditionals by my college but I am leaning towards accepting
Original post by Paisleybow01
Thank you this was quite helpful! Salford have just made my offer unconditional and I’ve been strongly advised not to take any unconditionals by my college but I am leaning towards accepting

For architecture accreditation and a studio environment that suits you is far more important than any other reputation factors.
Original post by Paisleybow01

hey, i'm kinda in the same position as u now as I'm applying to architecture fo salford however I'm not sure what its like as I can't get ahold of any students from there that study the course. How are u finding it?

Latest