AliceAA
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
does anyone have any advice about how to strucutre history essays, currently getting 15-19/25 and i don't really know what i'm doing wrong
My topicd are the making of modern britian and thr making of a superpower (USA )
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by AliceAA)
does anyone have any advice about how to strucutre history essays, currently getting 15-19/25 and i don't really know what i'm doing wrong
My topicd are the making of modern britian and thr making of a superpower (USA )
Hi :hello:

With regards to structuring essays, this is how I find it helpful to think about it:

Introduction: Your introduction should be around 10% of your overall word count (but it can be shorter). It should do the following things -

• Introduce the topic - give a brief bit of background on what you will be talking out (only a couple of sentences).
  • Introduce the essay - start to mention the arguments/themes you will be writing about, and what the essay will be trying to prove/disprove/highlight/explain
  • Structure you essay - write in slightly more detail exactly what the essay will discuss in each section/paragraph. In this way, you can use the introduction as checklist, to keep your writing on track and to make sure you mention everything you need to.

Then write the main body of your essay, following the structure you set out in the introduction. In the main body, make sure each paragraph directly answers the question. You can do this by using the PEEL method. PEEL stands for:

• Point - The first sentence of your paragraph should introduce the point you are making in that paragraph, in a concise and direct way.
  • Evidence - Use some form of historical evidence or example to illustrate your point. if this is coursework you could use a quote. if this is in an exam, an example should be fine.
  • Explain - Explain how your evidence illustrates the point - what does this show?
  • Link - Link the point you have made back to the question.

Finally, write a short conclusion. Again, this should be around 10% of your word count. Use the conclusion to restate how each point answers the question. Do not add any new information to the conclusion. Finish off with a concluding statement (e.g. 'Overall, it is clear that...).

More helpful information can be found on our writing resources page.

I hope this helps. if you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

Good luck!

Melissa
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (121)
14.42%
I'm not sure (36)
4.29%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (254)
30.27%
I have already dropped out (21)
2.5%
I'm not a current university student (407)
48.51%

Watched Threads