How do we get into second year of uni????

Watch
Zahrawasheree
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
hey so I’m already in uni but I’m really confused for second year , do we automatically get in ? Or do we have to apply again ???
Anonymous #1
Report 11 months ago
I mean if you pass first year and you get 40%+ on all your modules then the uni will let you go to second year, you don't have to apply again.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Zahrawasheree)
hey so I’m already in uni but I’m really confused for second year , do we automatically get in ? Or do we have to apply again ???
Hi Zahrawasheree

I don't think you will have to apply again to go into second year, (as long as you have met the academic requirements) . When I finished first year I received an email to re-enrol onto my course and that was it, you may have to do something similar, however I presume you will get an email telling you what to do. Have you tried contacting your University's admission team they may be able to give you specific details what your university and course requires?

If you receive student finance you will need to apply for it again.

Zaira
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
You have to satisfy the criteria. That might be an average of 40% overall, at least 40% in your modules, over 40% in your core modules .. it depends on the university.

In some instances, if you don't make these grades, you will be offered resits in the summer. If you are miles off, you may be given the opportunity to resit the whole of your first year. A conversation with your course leader would probably help you work out which would be best, as it largely depends on why you did poorly.

But if you pass and all is well, you will just be allowed in next year - although my uni did have an enrolment day every year where you picked up your ID badge and stuff, it wasn't literally just like you walked into your lectures, you had to tell them you still wanted to be there, effectively.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
As above, you don't reapply through UCAS for each year of uni, but you will need to meet internal progression criteria to continue - usually minimal passes in all your modules, however there are lots of exceptions and variations (e.g. sometimes you can fail certain modules but be "condoned" and allowed to continue, sometimes you must meed specific attendance criteria, etc).

You do need to reapply to Student Finance England for funding each year though.

Spoiler:
Show

there is technically an exception in Oxford medicine, where after the preclinical phase students reapply to Oxford and/or London med schools for the clinical phase, however provided they meet progression criteria as I understand they are guaranteed a spot at Oxford if they want to remain there rather than go to London for the clinical portion of their degree.

Last edited by artful_lounger; 11 months ago
Anonymous #2
Report 11 months ago
Just don’t fail first year lol
Other_Owl
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
You just need to pass the mininum amount of modules and then your automatically enrolled. If don't pass the rest. Then you have to retake them.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Presuming you pass etc. then no. You will have to enrol online again but basically just show up as you did in first year. You'll need to request student finance again tho.
Anonymous #3
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
You have to satisfy the criteria. That might be an average of 40% overall, at least 40% in your modules, over 40% in your core modules .. it depends on the university.

In some instances, if you don't make these grades, you will be offered resits in the summer. If you are miles off, you may be given the opportunity to resit the whole of your first year. A conversation with your course leader would probably help you work out which would be best, as it largely depends on why you did poorly.

But if you pass and all is well, you will just be allowed in next year - although my uni did have an enrolment day every year where you picked up your ID badge and stuff, it wasn't literally just like you walked into your lectures, you had to tell them you still wanted to be there, effectively.
Hi, what if you failed to submit an assessment that was 50% of one of six modules (due to personal reasons) but you passed the other 5, could you proceed to 2nd year?
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi, what if you failed to submit an assessment that was 50% of one of six modules (due to personal reasons) but you passed the other 5, could you proceed to 2nd year?
You will need to contact your uni about that - personal tutor or student services.

It is highly likely they will allow you to submit the assessment at a later date which will be capped at 40% (still a pass) which will allow you to proceed to 2nd year.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Your university needs to award you120 credits, If it is first year on a module not a prerequisite for later modules then the may consider a condoned pass (basically they let you off) but most condoned fails are for near misses for example 35% in an exam or something. (so your performance in the other 50% of the module may be quite important)

You would likely be required to resit this, however most universities will provide a summer resit opportunity.

If you had severe personal issues, generally before the deadline it is best to app,y for an extension to give you time to complete the work.
Last edited by mnot; 4 weeks ago
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hiya Zahrawasheree!

I think the specific timings will depend on your university but for me over the summer period I received an email asking to enrol again for my second year. Around February time you normally receive an email where you have to chose your options/modules for second year so your university should know you will be continuing.

It may be best to email your personal tutor or your admissions team to ask when the email will be sent, or if you even have to re-enrol at all

Sam- Official Student Rep
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It honestly depends on your uni, you'd have to ask them. At mine, you had to get 40% on every single assignment, and resit in July if you didn't. Until you achieved that, you couldn't progress to the next year. But that might not be the case where you are!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel comfortable going back to school on March 8th?

Yes (374)
32.13%
No (790)
67.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed