The Student Room Group

Is It Worth Doing A Levels As A Mature Student?

Hi.

Quite a strange question, I think. I've not been able to find this exact question online.

Picture the scene. I'm a mature student, a masters drop out. I've already got a 1st class degree from university and now I'm back home in part time employment making a steady income.

I miss education. Whilst I might be able to read multiple books on a specific subject, I'll never have a certificate that says I know XYZ about this subject.

I've been looking into doing more qualifications at a local college as a part time student but due to financial constraints, I can't do any of it.

I feel as though I want to do more studying. I've thought about self teaching myself an A Level and sitting the exams as an external candidate. I'm not necessarily doing it to get a job, but I did completely waste my A Levels (I only actually got 2).But instead I'm thinking of doing it just because I want to study again.

To summarise, I guess my question is:
Is it worth self-teaching myself A Levels as a hobby, in my free time?
Original post by daniel101x
Hi.

Quite a strange question, I think. I've not been able to find this exact question online.

Picture the scene. I'm a mature student, a masters drop out. I've already got a 1st class degree from university and now I'm back home in part time employment making a steady income.

I miss education. Whilst I might be able to read multiple books on a specific subject, I'll never have a certificate that says I know XYZ about this subject.

I've been looking into doing more qualifications at a local college as a part time student but due to financial constraints, I can't do any of it.

I feel as though I want to do more studying. I've thought about self teaching myself an A Level and sitting the exams as an external candidate. I'm not necessarily doing it to get a job, but I did completely waste my A Levels (I only actually got 2).But instead I'm thinking of doing it just because I want to study again.

To summarise, I guess my question is:
Is it worth self-teaching myself A Levels as a hobby, in my free time?

from this back story, it would seem the best path in the long term would be to tackle the financial constraints and go through additional university-level qualifications perhaps even give masters another go. That being said, just doing A levels again is fine as long as you understand the process of getting the A level (ie. studying for it and sitting the exam) is the reward (similar to playing videogames,they might be fun while you play them but once you switch the console off there is no value) and once you complete it its likely to be worthless given you already have a 1st class degree ( have a look at the specification before you commit anything maybe too easy and not fun)
Reply 2
Depends a bit on which subject(s) you are interested in. What was your degree subject?

Quick Reply