GCSE2019helpme
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
‘From a Christian point of view, God cannot be clearly described” (15)

I was given this question in class and I’m not sure how to answer it 😬 it’s to do with Christian theology
Last edited by GCSE2019helpme; 1 year ago
WhisperWillow
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by GCSE2019helpme)
I was given this question in class and I’m not sure how to answer it 😬
Physically he could not be clearly described- his only physical form was his son when he walked on earth. But we don’t know how Jesus looked. To most people Jesus is seen as a white man with brown facial hair and hair on head but that is only due to how people wanted to see Jesus as due to racial and gender inequality as Jesus has been passed through time.
We are made in gods image so you could also say God looks like us.
I would also like to add that god is beyond gender and I am referring to god as any pronouns because that is what people are most accustom to, referring to god with a gender is a part of what makes god easier to comprehend to us, despite the fact that we couldn’t even begin to understand Gods power and glory.
God is benevolent, omniscient and omnipotent.
God can be seen though us at our best and in our worst he is with us.

I hope this helps a little.
GCSE2019helpme
Rep:
?
Yeah that’s really helpful thank you!
ng849
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just remember that you are required to mention the divergent views of different groups (I assume you are doing OCR)

Arguments for:

God is transcendant and cannot be fully understood. This is shown in Philippians 4:7, where it says "God transcends all understanding." Therefore, Christians will instead focus on understanding His teachings, and accept that God is beyond comprehension. For example, conservative evangelicals will focus on the Great Commission.

Humans have also been separated from God by the barrier of sin that is prevalent in all of us. This stems from the Original Sin which entered the world in the Fall. As Paul writes in Romans 3:23 "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." Therefore we cannot fully describe God unless we are free from sin. This in part leads to the Catholic belief in Purgatory where your sins are burnt off you.

Arguments against:

Humans are made in Genesis as being imago dei. Therefore to physically see what he looks like you can look at yourself. Furthermore, the human conciousness is seen as being part of the Holy Spirit, which is a fundemental part of humanity, as in 1 Corinthians 3:16 it says that "the body is the temple of the Holy Spirit."

You can describe God through His attributes, which are described in the Nicenoconstantinopolitan Creed

In the Gospel of John it says in 1:14 that "the Word becamef flesh and dwelt among us." Therefore the Person of God that is Jesus can be described, as he was fully human while being fully God.

Jesus removed the barrier of sin through His death as the ultimate Day of Atonement sacrifice. This is shown in the Agnus Dei which calls Him the "lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world." For this reason, Protestants focus on the permanance of this and will wear an empty cross to show, as it says in Hebrews 10:10 that "Jesus's sacrifice is once and for all"
GCSE2019helpme
Rep:
?
thank you so so much this is exactly what i needed!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (97)
5.07%
Uncertainty around my education (288)
15.06%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (203)
10.62%
Lack of purpose or motivation (268)
14.02%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (83)
4.34%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (110)
5.75%
Loneliness (165)
8.63%
Financial worries (68)
3.56%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (85)
4.45%
Exposure to negative news/social media (90)
4.71%
Lack of real life entertainment (105)
5.49%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (168)
8.79%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (182)
9.52%

Watched Threads