Effzed
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hello

I've decided to study Midwifery (hopefully next year) and I've enrolled in a distance learning midwifery access course. But I just found out it only has 15 biology credits and I need at least 24 for the uni I want to go to.
The course provider is saying they can change the course to a biology one (not sure which one!) that has enough credits.

Can someone please reassure me that universities will take any access course that has enough credits (with the dist/merit requirements) even if its not specifically a 'nursing/midwifery' one?

Thank you!
Joe1000000
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
The best thing you can do is contact the university/universities that you're looking to go to after your access course to check their entry requirements and what they're looking for, as that's the only way to know for certain.
2020stmw
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi,Which access course are you doing? And who are you doing it with?I have finished my access course with the distance learning centre in January. The first course I started didn't have enough biology credits for my first choice uni (Nottingham) so made the hard decision in Dec 2018 to change courses to the allied health professionals pathway and postpone for a year. I'm really glad that I did because now I have finished the access with the grades I need and have been offered a place at both my 1st and 2nd choice unis. Now I've just got to wait until September to finally start!The best thing to do would be to ring/email the admissions department of your first choice uni to see of they'd accept the course and credits. I know with Nottingham they don't accept practical investigation units towards biology credits which is why my original course wouldn't have been enough.Sorry for the ramble, hope it helps and good luck!
Effzed
Rep:
?
Hello 2020stmw

I started a midwifery access course last week with Stonebridge and I was told is has 26 biology credits only to later find out it doesn't! I also want to go Nottingham. Which provider did you use?
I contacted Stonebridge and they have told me they'll contact the uni on my behalf and ask them if the 'Science' access course is acceptable. For now they've changed my course to the science one but I still need confirmation before I start. I'm a mature student with a family and I can't attend any other uni so I need the correct credits.
Congrats on the offers! What are you studying?
2020stmw
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Effzed)
Hello 2020stmw

I started a midwifery access course last week with Stonebridge and I was told is has 26 biology credits only to later find out it doesn't! I also want to go Nottingham. Which provider did you use?
I contacted Stonebridge and they have told me they'll contact the uni on my behalf and ask them if the 'Science' access course is acceptable. For now they've changed my course to the science one but I still need confirmation before I start. I'm a mature student with a family and I can't attend any other uni so I need the correct credits.
Congrats on the offers! What are you studying?
Ah that's great, sound like we're in similar situations. I am also going to be doing midwifery as a mature student with a family and Nottingham is my closest uni too. (I also applied for De Montfort as an insurance as their requirements are slightly lower).

I studied with distance learning centre (distancelearningcentre.com) so I could study from home in my own time/around kids. If Notts doesn't accept the science course would you be able to get your money back and change providers as they've not delivered what they advertised?!

I hope you get some answers soon, it's so frustrating when all you want to do is crack on and get started.
Effzed
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2020stmw)
Ah that's great, sound like we're in similar situations. I am also going to be doing midwifery as a mature student with a family and Nottingham is my closest uni too. (I also applied for De Montfort as an insurance as their requirements are slightly lower).

I studied with distance learning centre (distancelearningcentre.com) so I could study from home in my own time/around kids. If Notts doesn't accept the science course would you be able to get your money back and change providers as they've not delivered what they advertised?!

I hope you get some answers soon, it's so frustrating when all you want to do is crack on and get started.
Oh thats great. How did you find the access course and getting all distinctions? You must be so excited, I hope I get in. De montfort requires 5 GCSES and I don't have any so I'll be doing English and maths for Notts. I don't mind going Uni of Leicester but its an hour away from home.

I initially started a midwifery course with DLC 10 years ago but I couldn't finish it at the time. I went back to them to see if I can continue it as I had already done some credits but they weren't accommodating so I decided to go with Stonebridge. If Notts doesn't accept it I will tell them to cancel it (I have a week left of the 14 days cancellation policy) and then I'll have to enrol with DLC.
cupcake2188
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I have just started this course end of January! if you need anything message me!
Mrsgarns
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi, I am in a similar situation. Family and need to do an access course that meets the credits for either Nottingham of Sheffield. I have tried contacting Stonebridge but they are not answering the phone at the moment. Will be interesting to see how this turns out. 😀
Effzed
Rep:
?
Hello Mrsgarns

Glad to know your in the same boat
Stonebridge advised me to change the access from midwifery to a science based one as it has enough graded credits. I have told them to ask Nottingham if they will accept that (and the units they offer) so I'm just waiting for them to get back to me. Not too happy to be doing more science and less 'midwifery' related units but I'll get through it hopefully.

I've started 2 units from the course already, which are the same all the access course from Stonebridge so I'm hoping one of their courses will be accepted by Notts.

I know someone else who did an access course from DLC, and although their midwifery access doesn't have enough credits either, they did the allied health pathway instead.
Mrs.Beth
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by 2020stmw)
Hi,Which access course are you doing? And who are you doing it with?I have finished my access course with the distance learning centre in January. The first course I started didn't have enough biology credits for my first choice uni (Nottingham) so made the hard decision in Dec 2018 to change courses to the allied health professionals pathway and postpone for a year. I'm really glad that I did because now I have finished the access with the grades I need and have been offered a place at both my 1st and 2nd choice unis. Now I've just got to wait until September to finally start!The best thing to do would be to ring/email the admissions department of your first choice uni to see of they'd accept the course and credits. I know with Nottingham they don't accept practical investigation units towards biology credits which is why my original course wouldn't have been enough.Sorry for the ramble, hope it helps and good luck!
Hello. I'm so glad I saw your post. I will be applying to Nottingham and was about to sign up for the Midwifery (Nursing and midwifery) access course with dlc. Was this the course you were doing?

I had emailed Nottingham previously and they said how many biology credits I would need but never mentioned about the practical ones not counting. Did you end up doing the Midwifery (Health professions) access course instead?

Did you apply to Sheffield as well? I'm waiting to hear from them re what biology credits they need.

Any advice would be great, I've spent so long looking into colleges and courses trying to find the right one.

Congratulations on your university place!
2020stmw
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hi,Great to hear you're studying to become a midwife too, it's so exciting! The course I did with DLC was the access to midwifery (allied health professions), the first one I had to change from was the nursing and midwifery pathway. Yeah I also applied to Sheffield Hallam too, I don't remember exactly what their entry criteria was but I know that Nottingham was the only Uni that needed more bio credits than the first pathway/course that I was on with DLC. Sheffield and DMU criteria were both lower than UoN. I hope this helps and best of luck on your exciting new venture and future career!
2020stmw
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Mrs.Beth)
Hello. I'm so glad I saw your post. I will be applying to Nottingham and was about to sign up for the Midwifery (Nursing and midwifery) access course with dlc. Was this the course you were doing?

I had emailed Nottingham previously and they said how many biology credits I would need but never mentioned about the practical ones not counting. Did you end up doing the Midwifery (Health professions) access course instead?

Did you apply to Sheffield as well? I'm waiting to hear from them re what biology credits they need.

Any advice would be great, I've spent so long looking into colleges and courses trying to find the right one.

Congratulations on your university place!
Hi,Great to hear you're studying to become a midwife too, it's so exciting! The course I did with DLC was the access to midwifery (allied health professions), the first one I had to change from was the nursing and midwifery pathway. Yeah I also applied to Sheffield Hallam too, I don't remember exactly what their entry criteria was but I know that Nottingham was the only Uni that needed more bio credits than the first pathway/course that I was on with DLC. Sheffield and DMU criteria were both lower than UoN. I hope this helps and best of luck on your exciting new venture and future career!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (98)
38.58%
Take autumn exams (81)
31.89%
Look for a job (8)
3.15%
Consider an apprenticeship (8)
3.15%
Take a year out (43)
16.93%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
6.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed