The Student Room Group

Failing A Level tests

Hi

I take Biology, Psychology and Govt and Politics.
Govt and politics has been going well, however the last couple of tests in Psychology I have failed with a D and an E, the last one even with revision, however due to time constraints I didn't finish.

With Biology, the first test I got a C in, and I have just taken the second one. I am pretty sure I have failed this test very badly. i have been doing well on homeworks etc.

How can I catch up on all the knowledge? I feel weak on a lot of topics and need to catch up, and most importantly feel like I have no time!! I am starting to change my revision method, using flashcards and active recall with spaced repetition. How do I catch up on topics missed, and revise effectively to make sure I don't fail my next test? Worried I'll get a sanction if I don't fix my grades.
(edited 4 years ago)
When you say that you failed with a D and and an E, do you mean 'fail' as in you've failed your personal expectations or 'fail' as in you've failed to pass the exam because a D and and an E are still passes!

Why do you feel like you have no time? Do you have too much stuff going on outside of school or is it because your revision methods are just very time consuming? I'd say the flashcard method is quite good although I personally like to 'teach' myself the topic but it really varies person to person in terms of how to revise effectively, you've just got to find a method that works for you. I would start by focusing my revision on the parts of each course that I find most challenging and work my way through. Have you used Seneca.com? - it's a really useful revision website and breaks down each part of the course into concise sections, I'd definitely recommend it.

What would you say were the main reasons why you didn't do so well in the tests? Not enough revision? Or was it more of a question about technique? I think it's important to do lots of practice questions especially if what you're failing on is appropriate technique to answer questions, particularly for more essay based subjects like politics where essay technique is just as, if not more important than knowledge. You don't have to do loads of practice essays, maybe a couple, ask your teacher to mark them and give some feedback and then you can just plan lots of essays to save time of actually writing them.

Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by neko no basu
When you say that you failed with a D and and an E, do you mean 'fail' as in you've failed your personal expectations or 'fail' as in you've failed to pass the exam because a D and and an E are still passes!

Why do you feel like you have no time? Do you have too much stuff going on outside of school or is it because your revision methods are just very time consuming? I'd say the flashcard method is quite good although I personally like to 'teach' myself the topic but it really varies person to person in terms of how to revise effectively, you've just got to find a method that works for you. I would start by focusing my revision on the parts of each course that I find most challenging and work my way through. Have you used Seneca.com? - it's a really useful revision website and breaks down each part of the course into concise sections, I'd definitely recommend it.

What would you say were the main reasons why you didn't do so well in the tests? Not enough revision? Or was it more of a question about technique? I think it's important to do lots of practice questions especially if what you're failing on is appropriate technique to answer questions, particularly for more essay based subjects like politics where essay technique is just as, if not more important than knowledge. You don't have to do loads of practice essays, maybe a couple, ask your teacher to mark them and give some feedback and then you can just plan lots of essays to save time of actually writing them.

Hope that helps :smile:

I think that by "failed" they mean that they got below a grade C although I could be wrong?
Original post by IAH123
Hi

I take Biology, Psychology and Govt and Politics.
Govt and politics has been going well, however the last couple of tests in Psychology I have failed with a D and an E, the last one even with revision, however due to time constraints I didn't finish.

With Biology, the first test I got a C in, and I have just taken the second one. I am pretty sure I have failed this test very badly. i have been doing well on homeworks etc.

How can I catch up on all the knowledge? I feel weak on a lot of topics and need to catch up, and most importantly feel like I have no time!! I am starting to change my revision method, using flashcards and active recall with spaced repetition. How do I catch up on topics missed, and revise effectively to make sure I don't fail my next test? Worried I'll get a sanction if I don't fix my grades.

Hi, this may or may not help but it's helping me just a little with time management to get through revision for a levels. So there's 24 hours in a day; you can split that into 3 parts. 8 hours sleep, 8 hours school/revision, 8 hours freetime. I did find it difficult to work out how I could plan this but I've given myself 8 hours sleep, 8 hours at school, 4 hours freetime, 4 hours revision. I feel a bit more productive so hopefully this works for you!

Quick Reply

Latest