Confidential_
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'd like to know when to apply. when you're a btec student. because i see the requirements. n i don't meet just yet. also i'm particularly interested in electronics engineering. so if you have any tips on where i can find one. and companies i should look out for. that would be much appreciated. also i've seen that degree apprenticships covers student finnace. what does it mean by finnace. like entrance fees? or student loans stuff. just more insight on how degree apprenticship works. also if i get a degree apprenticship in a uni that's far from would i get accommodation there. will i still have to look for my own place in second year?
Last edited by Confidential_; 4 weeks ago
yotsr123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'd like to know when to apply. when you're a btec student.
Well it depends on whether you are in year 12 or year 13. Most degree apprenticeships are closing or are already closed as they are extremely competitive, and applications would have been opened last year (around september) so if you are in year 13 you're going to have to have a hard look at apprenticeships that are still open. If you are in year 12, most apprenticeships will be open to you in September so be proactive and keep a look out.

also i'm particularly interested in electronics engineering. so if you have any tips on where i can find one. and companies i should look out for.
Have a look on the government website. If you have specific companies that you're interested in, google their name and check their websites to see if they do apprenticeships.

also i've seen that degree apprenticships covers student finnace. what does it mean by finnace. like entrance fees? or student loans stuff.
Apprenticeships mean that you don't have to worry about student finance (applying for it) because the company you work for will cover all of this. They will pay your university fees and give you a salary so you don't have to worry about applying for it and then paying back the loan.

also if i get a degree apprenticship in a uni that's far from would i get accommodation there. will i still have to look for my own place in second year?
No. You're going to have to look for your own place while you work for the company. If your university is far, you're going to have to commute from your own place. This is why most apprentices choose to live at home, but if you want to move out, then it is possible to do so on the salary. But you would not be able to stay at the university.
Confidential_
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Oh thanks very much for the information. i'm in my first year of my btec course. so i will be on the look out. this is very helpful.
SpottyGenuis
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I am going on to a Degree Apprenticeship in later this year with a large uk company and the process is extremely competitive. You need to also search really closely to find them as they don't keep them up for a long period, on my assessment centre for this one we were all having a chat before we all went in to the the assessment and we all said we'd done the same thing, gone through the Top 100 Companies to work for and then searched the words *Degree Apprentice* afterwards and if the site offers for you to sign up to notifications I highly recommend it - I had to apply in November and did all the tests and video interviews and didn't get an assessment centre until 2020 . I know the role I applied for had over 4,500 applicants and I made it to the final 14 to be invited for assessment and then got the role - I did also put a UCAS application in deferred in case I didn't get it but since withdrew this!

My new role, requires me to move so I've got savings and will most likely be working as soon as my exams are done full time

@yostr123 answers the rest quite well
Last edited by SpottyGenuis; 3 weeks ago
Chris2892
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by yotsr123)
I'd like to know when to apply. when you're a btec student.
Well it depends on whether you are in year 12 or year 13. Most degree apprenticeships are closing or are already closed as they are extremely competitive, and applications would have been opened last year (around september) so if you are in year 13 you're going to have to have a hard look at apprenticeships that are still open. If you are in year 12, most apprenticeships will be open to you in September so be proactive and keep a look out.

also i'm particularly interested in electronics engineering. so if you have any tips on where i can find one. and companies i should look out for.
Have a look on the government website. If you have specific companies that you're interested in, google their name and check their websites to see if they do apprenticeships.

also i've seen that degree apprenticships covers student finnace. what does it mean by finnace. like entrance fees? or student loans stuff.
Apprenticeships mean that you don't have to worry about student finance (applying for it) because the company you work for will cover all of this. They will pay your university fees and give you a salary so you don't have to worry about applying for it and then paying back the loan.

also if i get a degree apprenticship in a uni that's far from would i get accommodation there. will i still have to look for my own place in second year?
No. You're going to have to look for your own place while you work for the company. If your university is far, you're going to have to commute from your own place. This is why most apprentices choose to live at home, but if you want to move out, then it is possible to do so on the salary. But you would not be able to stay at the university.
Just to add, some employers will pay for accommodation for block release studies.
You should be paid for the days you attend university. This will help cover travel and other expenses.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (290)
34.16%
No (559)
65.84%

Watched Threads