The Student Room Group
I would assume that for your purposes they are basically the same. To teach you basically need a Bachelor's in your subject area and a PGCE, assuming you want to teach high school.
Biological Sciences is perfectly fine. It's basically the same as biology but some universities use a different name for it.
Original post by Daveological
I would assume that for your purposes they are basically the same. To teach you basically need a Bachelor's in your subject area and a PGCE, assuming you want to teach high school.

Yes I would. What are the differences between the degrees anyways? And is biological sciences a good degree to teach bio with?
Original post by GreenCub
Biological Sciences is perfectly fine. It's basically the same as biology but some universities use a different name for it.

Thank you!
Original post by GreenCub

Why do they use another name? And so is it considered a pure biology degree?
Original post by randomquestion
Yes I would. What are the differences between the degrees anyways? And is biological sciences a good degree to teach bio with?

Leeds University says that their Pure Biology course, for example, focuses on organismal biology i.e what you will likely be teaching. Biological Sciences has more of a focus on Molecular Biology, so medicine development/further biology research. So, pure Biology would probably be a better option, although both should be okay.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Daveological
Leeds University says that their Pure Biology course, for example, focuses on organismal biology i.e what you will likely be teaching. Biological Sciences has more of a focus on Molecular Biology, so medicine development/further biology research. So, pure Biology would probably be a better option, although both should be okay.

However, not all unis teach Biology, for example , UCL only do Biological Sciences. Their modules are highly similar to that of Bath’s Biology modules. So are they not the same?
Original post by randomquestion
However, not all unis teach Biology, for example , UCL only do Biological Sciences. Their modules are highly similar to that of Bath’s Biology modules. So are they not the same?

I would say that's just naming technicalities. Course names can be very arbitrary.
Reply 9
I want to teach biology in teaching 5-6 years down the line.. will there be alot of shortages (considering ppl know that now teaching is stable & DfE pay rises) so it will be very difficult and competitive to get a job? I plan in doing Biomedical Science then a PGCE! Please help. I’ve been losing sleep thinking About this prospect - just hoping a vaccine comes and ppl don’t lose their jobs so teaching wont become competitive by then 😅
Edit: I’m a y13 student (finished y12 in june)
I wouldn't worry heavily about it. Not all Biology teachers have Biology degrees.
Biology and Biological Sciences are exactly the same thing (I did Biological Science at uni). The different modules that you may have in BSc Biology and BSc Biological Sciences are only due to different choices of different Universities.
If you want to be a teacher both BSc Biology and BSc Biological Sciences are good. Also you don't have to study Biology to be a biology teacher. You can do BSc Genetics, BSc Biochemistry, BSc Zoology, BSc Ecology, BSc Chemistry.
Reply 12
Original post by yhuss98
I want to teach biology in teaching 5-6 years down the line.. will there be alot of shortages (considering ppl know that now teaching is stable & DfE pay rises) so it will be very difficult and competitive to get a job? I plan in doing Biomedical Science then a PGCE! Please help. I’ve been losing sleep thinking About this prospect - just hoping a vaccine comes and ppl don’t lose their jobs so teaching wont become competitive by then 😅
Edit: I’m a y13 student (finished y12 in june)

There is always demand for science teachers, you will easily be able to find a job. There is more competition at certain types of school and certain locations, but if you're not fussy you will easily get something. Teacher retention is a much bigger issue than teacher recruitment (because lots of people think it's easy and are then shocked!), there are always lots of applicants and trainees, so don't let competition put you off if it's what you want to do.
I should be degree of biology
Biology and Biological Sciences are exactly the same thing (I did Biological Science at uni). The different modules that you may have in BSc Biology and BSc Biological Sciences are only due to different choices of different Universities.
If you want to be a teacher both BSc Biology and BSc Biological Sciences are good. Also you don't have to study Biology to be a biology teacher. You can do BSc Genetics, BSc Biochemistry, BSc Zoology, BSc Ecology, BSc Chemistry.
Locked, old thread.

Latest