Coronavirus could be a good thing.

Watch
Ferrograd
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Whilst understanadbly many people are scared, there are many good things that can arise from this pandemic.

Firstly, people will work less and spend more time working at home. This allows people to spend more time with their families.

Secondly, as mentioned, people will get to spend more time with their families. This can only be a good thing, albeit a litlte frustrating.

Thirdly, if the government bans foreign travel or people just dont travel, people may choose to holiday at home. This will boost the UK tourist industry.

Forthly, the Coronavirus is good for the environment. Massive reductions in flights and general emissions from factories and workplaces. 2020 is a key year for the environment. So far, the coronavirus has reduced more emissions than the 2015 Paris climate agreement or any other environmental pact/iniative.

Fifth, the virus will make more people aware of hygiene, hand washing etc.

Sixth, the virus will make people realise how poorly funded the NHS is and will make people appreciate it more compared to our Transatlantic friends on the other side of the pond.

Seventh, it will help us have an honest conversation about globalisation and how it is negatively impacting countries.

As a nation, it may help create unity in a time of great discourse with Brexit and increasing political discord. It may allow both parties to form some kind of consensus for the good of the nation.

So there you have it. Coronavirus isn't ideal, but I'm a great believer in the old adage that all things happen for a reason, and as such I believe we should embrace the virus rather than moan about the more negative consequences. Just my opinion.
Blue_skies124
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
True I agree with most of you’re points and it is a positive outlook of something that’s displayed horrifically within the media.
But working less means a lower income meaning more families will be stressed out about being able to afford necessities especially during a pandemic
So spending more time with family may be run over by the stress of money
No travelling means flight companies will lose out and that could harm the economy
If coronovirus is to spread within the uk, no one will be wanting to holiday at home.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
lmao
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ferrograd)
Firstly, people will work less and spend more time working at home. This allows people to spend more time with their families.
I imagine the divorce rate will spike if any form of quarantine is impleneted lol

Thirdly, if the government bans foreign travel or people just dont travel, people may choose to holiday at home. This will boost the UK tourist industry.
Would that really make up from a collapse in the foreign tourism industry? Equally, its dubious there would be any meaningful boost in domestic tourism
Forthly, the Coronavirus is good for the environment. Massive reductions in flights and general emissions from factories and workplaces. 2020 is a key year for the environment. So far, the coronavirus has reduced more emissions than the 2015 Paris climate agreement or any other environmental pact/iniative.
This would rather seem to be a bandaid over a severed carotid as it will inevitably start up again in short order
Meh, debatble. If people didnt know to wash their hands after going to the crapper before its doubtful this'll make much of a difference

Seventh, it will help us have an honest conversation about globalisation and how it is negatively impacting countries.
Do you really think the virus will undo this in any meaningful way though?

[/quote]
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by gjd800)
lmao
I particularly like that his firstly and secondly are literally the same.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
There may be some unintended good things to happen, but I'd still prefer no coronavirus. There are two families who have been bereaved in the UK and many more elsewhere.
baeoftae
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
how is coronavirus a good thing?? Many people in my country lost their jobs, many are working unpaid. Life is not as easy as it use to be, there is greater struggle now.
Kitten in boots
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My housemate has just been made redundant due to coronavirus.

No idea how you can spin her working less as a good thing. The rent doesn't pay itself.
liaente
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I can see both sides of the stories, we just need to hope and take the action we can to overcome this. Positives and negatives, it is what makes balance in this life. I also do agree with you in that old adage, I always repeat it to myself, it makes me feel better.
ShahedAli-02
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I agree with you there, but the biggest issue (I will use an example) is that it’s not a permanent switch
Like for example during WW2 people were rationing as food was in short supply , after the war they carried this on because it was really effective for a healthy population.
Seems good right?
But then slowly , this was taken away, why?
Because if people ration food then the big businesses won’t make as much as people are buying less, of course businesses will try influence politicians ( with things like funding for campaigns etc) then the government will start to take the cap of the rations , because businesses suffer.

Now apply to the scenarios you put, ( by no means am I criticising what you put) , you have to look at the capitalist world of today, tourism is a huge industry for some countries, these companies who facilitate this will do what ever they can to get it promoted more, from things like funding for campaigns for elections, sponsorships etc.

By no means am I disagreeing with you, I do agree about the positives you mentioned ,but they won’t be long lasting
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Secondly, as mentioned, people will get to spend more time with their families. This can only be a good thing, albeit a litlte frustrating.
Haha, no.
Leviathan1611
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
There's a positive and a negative to every situation. Just depends on how you look at it.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Whilst understanadbly many people are scared, there are many good things that can arise from this pandemic.

Sixth, the virus will make people realise how poorly funded the NHS is and will make people appreciate it more compared to our Transatlantic friends on the other side of the pond.

As a nation, it may help create unity in a time of great discourse with Brexit and increasing political discord. It may allow both parties to form some kind of consensus for the good of the nation.

So there you have it. Coronavirus isn't ideal, but I'm a great believer in the old adage that all things happen for a reason, and as such I believe we should embrace the virus rather than moan about the more negative consequences. Just my opinion.
Hows your grandad doing?
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Quady)
Hows your grandad doing?
Trying to be funny?

He's not ill from the coranavirus, he's going to die anyway so it really has no bearing upon him.
Acsel2.0
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Firstly, people will work less and spend more time working at home.
This is all well and good, until you realise that for some working less means less pay. Working less and getting to work from home? Alright for some. Working less because you're unemployed? Not so great.

This unfortunately is incredibly naive. Some people do not have a good family environment, which will make staying at home more than a little frustrating.

There's also an argument to be made that your mental health requires interaction with a range of people. Seeing more of your family might not be a bad thing, but seeing only your family could well be.

They may also choose not to holiday at all.

I also highly doubt the small boost we'd receive from UK tourism will offset the tourism lost because of travel bans. The ONS reported in 2018 that there were nearly 38 million visits to the UK from overseas. It's unclear if a visit means a single individual or a group, but that represents some 58% of the UK population. That's before we discount UK residents who already holiday in the UK.

In terms of spending, international tourists spent just under £23 billion. An important point to consider though, that's £23 billion they're bringing into the country. The economics is more complicated, but you don't offset £23 billion coming in from external sources because of internal sources.

Sure, I can agree with that. There are going to be some positive environmental impacts. However in the long term it's unlikely to make a difference. Some production has had to ramp up already, and it's quite possible when this is all over things simply go back to how they were before.

It will, but that doesn't mean everyone will bother to act on it. And like above, many will simply go back to their old habits when it all blows over. Ultimately washing your hands is only a tiny part of hygiene, but on the whole I don't think the UK is in a terrible place there.

It may, moreso for those who actually rely on the NHS. But appreciating that the NHS is in a bad place isn't enough. We've known it's in a bad place for a long time, yet nothing has happened. We need actual change, and as soon as you start talking about action people tend to shirk away. If it takes a global pandemic but we see real change afterwards then great. But if we don't see changes some may begin to think it'll never change.
Sheisun
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 minute ago
At the cost of probably a couple hundred thousand deaths?
Yeah no.
These are good things happening for a very bad reason.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (103)
61.31%
No (65)
38.69%

Watched Threads