The Student Room Group

Missed around 4 years of school, 18M

Hey guys so because of mental health issues I missed all of year 10, I attended a tad bit of year 11 at a different school. Then later in that year basically unofficially dropped out. Didn’t attend year 12 or 13 (which is the year I’m supposed to be in rn I think).

Was wondering how I can get back on track? What steps do I have to take from here to make sure I go to university??

Ps- I don’t have any gcses because I never took them which is obviously a MASSIVE problem. Thank you for your help.
Contact your local college and ask them about Access to Higher Education degrees. They allow people with little or no qualifications to go to university. This website has more information. There is a fee usually, however. Good luck ^_^
PS - Sorry to poke my nose in, but how did you manage to go under the radar for so long?
Original post by Daveological
Contact your local college and ask them about Access to Higher Education degrees. They allow people with little or no qualifications to go to university. This website has more information. There is a fee usually, however. Good luck ^_^
PS - Sorry to poke my nose in, but how did you manage to go under the radar for so long?

I’m sorry but how exactly would they let me into uni? By me getting a HE degree?
Original post by Throwaway927774
I’m sorry but how exactly would they let me into uni? By me getting a HE degree?

It is a HE degree, but it is designed to give a path straight into university.
Do your GCSEs first and then A levels. It will cost a bit of money as you’re no longer of school age.
Original post by Mustafa0605
Do your GCSEs first and then A levels. It will cost a bit of money as you’re no longer of school age.

The other guy said to take a HE degree... so which one is it?

A HE degree is more straightforward.

The other thing involves going college and doing a btec then going to a lower level Univeristy. This is good if you think that you would struggle taking A levels. It’s a less academic route obviously.
The traditional route is taking GCSEs then A levels however it is more academically challenging and a longer process but could give you access to better Univeristy courses.
(edited 4 years ago)
The other thing involves going college and doing a btec then going to a lower level Univeristy. This is good if you think that you would struggle taking A levels. It’s a less academic route obviously.
The traditional route is taking GCSEs then A levels however it is more academically challenging and a longer process but could give you access to better Univeristy courses.

This isn't true in the slightest. I did an Access in Humanities course a couple of years ago, and I'm studying at a decent RG law school.
It's different to A-levels, but by no means is it an option to look down on.
Original post by MidgetFever
This isn't true in the slightest. I did an Access in Humanities course a couple of years ago, and I'm studying at a decent RG law school.
It's different to A-levels, but by no means is it an option to look down on.

Did you do anything else other than the Access course? Did you get into RG straight away with access course?
Did you do anything else other than the Access course? Did you get into RG straight away with access course?

Yes.
I took AS years ago and ended up leaving before the majority of my exams, for personal reasons.
The only level 3 qualification I had/have was that Access Course.
Yes.
I took AS years ago and ended up leaving before the majority of my exams, for personal reasons.
The only level 3 qualification I had/have was that Access Course.

Btec level 3’s require at least 5 GCSE passes, this person hasn’t taken any GCSE’s
Btec level 3’s require at least 5 GCSE passes, this person hasn’t taken any GCSE’s

Access isn't a BTEC.
They were asking for at least an A-C for both Maths and English, which is what I would suggest OP focus on obtaining.
Access isn't a BTEC.
They were asking for at least an A-C for both Maths and English, which is what I would suggest OP focus on obtaining.

I don’t know what the aspirations of the OP is. If they were a string student before dropping out. It’s probably worthwhile doing A levels. Of course that’s a big IF, and anyways the first step is to retake the core GCSEs
I don’t know what the aspirations of the OP is. If they were a string student before dropping out. It’s probably worthwhile doing A levels. Of course that’s a big IF, and anyways the first step is to retake the core GCSEs

Depending on what OP wanted to do, I'd honestly suggest getting a couple of GCSE's under his belt, specifically maths and english.

By the time OP's done that he'll be 19, meaning he'll have to pay for the A-levels he sits. He'd also have to pay for an Access Course, but the fees are Government funded under the 'Advanced Learner Loan' which will be completely wiped if OP goes to university. (Not to mention you can get into a decent university with an Access Course)

A-levels will also take longer; 2 years as opposed to the year an Access Course takes. Cheaper and quicker. :tongue:
You should probably focus on getting GCSEs in English and Maths to begin with while doing a BTEC or some other course on the side like a level 2 apprenticeship?
Original post by lnspector
You should probably focus on getting GCSEs in English and Maths to begin with while doing a BTEC or some other course on the side like a level 2 apprenticeship?

I’m sorry, I don’t understand what these levels mean. And I know btec is a lower learning thing but don’t really understand it. I don’t know what an apprenticeship is either. You can defo tell I haven’t been to school lol. Kinda wanna die rn
Hey guys so because of mental health issues I missed all of year 10, I attended a tad bit of year 11 at a different school. Then later in that year basically unofficially dropped out. Didn’t attend year 12 or 13 (which is the year I’m supposed to be in rn I think).

Was wondering how I can get back on track? What steps do I have to take from here to make sure I go to university??

Ps- I don’t have any gcses because I never took them which is obviously a MASSIVE problem. Thank you for your help.

Hi OP,
I am in a similar boat, I haven't been to school (full time) since year 10, I left with No gcses 🙄.
But that's okay. It wasn't a choice.
Anyway, what do you want to do at uni?
As you have been out of education for 4 years, unis would consider it fine for you to apply with an access to He diploma.
In regards to the access to HE diploma, you must be at least 19 at the beginning of the course.
In addition, entry requirements on to access to HE diplomas differ from college to college. As a generalisation, they often require Maths and/or English GCSE grades 9-4, but will sometimes accept level 2 functional skills.
The good news is that, tech colleges often run part-time GCSE Maths and English evening courses, so prehapes it's worth looking into joining one in September.
However if you do wish to do med or some other highly competitive course, it's unlikely that just Maths and English GCSE would be competitive enough to get an interview or apply.
So in that case, as an access to He applicant, you would likely need around 6 GCSES at good grades( 6 +). That would probably mean self studying. Which is possible.
However be careful with this as there are a lot of companies that are trying to rip ppl off with self studying.

Quick Reply

Latest