study159
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
#1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
#1
I'm thinking of taking a-level media I haven't done it for gcse but it seems quite interesting. Please can people that have done media tell me there opinions/experiences that have done a-level media or currently doing it. Thanks
0
reply
Js048326
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
#2
Report 1 year ago
#2
I’m currently taking a level AQA media and I really like it. 30% is course work which changes each year but usually involves some sort of filming or photo shoots for adverts and magazines depending on which brief you choose. The other 70% is the exams. They are basically just theory which can be really interesting. The questions on the exams relate to case studies you will learn and they want you to apply theory to answer them. There are case studies on most areas of media including gaming, tv, film, advertising , radio, magazines, online and a few more. You usually get two case studies per topic, for example in TV our school studies ‘The killing’ and ‘No offence’. You mostly study 4 areas in them - industry, representations, audience and media language. For example in No offence we look at the representations of females or ethnicity and use feminist theory or theories of ethnicity to back our points. So in all I really like media and of you like coursework and theory based writing then it should be right for you.
0
reply
study159
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
#3
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
#3
(Original post by Js048326)
I’m currently taking a level AQA media and I really like it. 30% is course work which changes each year but usually involves some sort of filming or photo shoots for adverts and magazines depending on which brief you choose. The other 70% is the exams. They are basically just theory which can be really interesting. The questions on the exams relate to case studies you will learn and they want you to apply theory to answer them. There are case studies on most areas of media including gaming, tv, film, advertising , radio, magazines, online and a few more. You usually get two case studies per topic, for example in TV our school studies ‘The killing’ and ‘No offence’. You mostly study 4 areas in them - industry, representations, audience and media language. For example in No offence we look at the representations of females or ethnicity and use feminist theory or theories of ethnicity to back our points. So in all I really like media and of you like coursework and theory based writing then it should be right for you.
Thank you this is really helpful
0
reply
🧡Hajera
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
#4
Report 2 months ago
#4
Is there anything about websites in the course?
0
reply
Js048326
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
#5
Report 2 months ago
#5
(Original post by 🧡Hajera)
Is there anything about websites in the course?
For AQA media we had to look at the teen vogue website and a News website called The voice
0
reply
🧡Hajera
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
#6
Report 2 months ago
#6
(Original post by Js048326)
For AQA media we had to look at the teen vogue website and a News website called The voice
Thank u 😊 bc the summary vids I’ve watched on utube dont mention websites so I had started looking into btec ict/cs for web design 😂 but now I’ve found this out I might take business instead of the btecs
0
reply
Js048326
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
#7
Report 2 months ago
#7
(Original post by 🧡Hajera)
Thank u 😊 bc the summary vids I’ve watched on utube dont mention websites so I had started looking into btec ict/cs for web design 😂 but now I’ve found this out I might take business instead of the btecs
It’s not very in depth u just look at the industry side, the audience, media language and the representation in them
0
reply
🧡Hajera
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
#8
Report 2 months ago
#8
(Original post by Js048326)
It’s not very in depth u just look at the industry side, the audience, media language and the representation in them
So like the reasons behind the methods used in websites and how it effects its viewer? And what industries it’s used in as well??
0
reply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Reply
new posts
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (82)
26.11%
England (108)
34.39%
Belgium (27)
8.6%
Germany (37)
11.78%
Spain (5)
1.59%
Italy (27)
8.6%
Netherlands (10)
3.18%
Other (Tell us who) (18)
5.73%

Watched Threads

View All