The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York Advance Rent Payment

What happens if I don't pay the advance rent payment of £200 within 7 days? I accepted the offer by accident as I thought I was only applying and it was not clear. I have emailed the uni to ask to pay later. I will be studying a PGCE and it's my first year at York.
Original post by madmirrors
What happens if I don't pay the advance rent payment of £200 within 7 days? I accepted the offer by accident as I thought I was only applying and it was not clear. I have emailed the uni to ask to pay later. I will be studying a PGCE and it's my first year at York.

Oh I see . You mean the deposit.

Just ring them on Monday.
Applying is different from accepting.
If you are applying, then there is nothing to accept until they offer.
If you have been made an offer it says the £200 must be paid within 3 days of accepting an offer. If you dont pay it then I assume your offer lapses.
Phone call and then make your mind up.
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Oh I see . You mean the deposit.

Just ring them on Monday.
Applying is different from accepting.
If you are applying, then there is nothing to accept until they offer.
If you have been made an offer it says the £200 must be paid within 3 days of accepting an offer. If you dont pay it then I assume your offer lapses.
Phone call and then make your mind up.

Yes, the £200 deposit. When I went to apply for accommodation I was so tired that I thought I had only booked it not accepted it and I'm worried if I dont pay the £200 I'm liable for the full cost. I've sent an email and will call up on Monday like you suggested. Here is the email they sent me and the terms and the terms and conditions: https://www.york.ac.uk/media/abouttheuniversity/accommodation/Terms-and-Conditions-2020-21.pdf

The T&Cs don't say I owe money if I cant pay £200 within 3 days of accepting it so I assume ik fine right?
Yes, the £200 deposit. When I went to apply for accommodation I was so tired that I thought I had only booked it not accepted it and I'm worried if I dont pay the £200 I'm liable for the full cost. I've sent an email and will call up on Monday like you suggested. Here is the email they sent me and the terms and the terms and conditions: https://www.york.ac.uk/media/abouttheuniversity/accommodation/Terms-and-Conditions-2020-21.pdf

The T&Cs don't say I owe money if I cant pay £200 within 3 days of accepting it so I assume ik fine right?

Just ring them on Monday and get them to clear it up over the phone, will be better for peace of mind.
Normally they require you to pay the deposit at the same time as confirming the booking and the deposit is part of the confirmation. If you dont pay, then your acceptance is incomplete.

What I dont get is that you need to apply for accommodation and they make you an offer.
Normally you have so long to accept that offer. You can only properly accept with paying the deposit as well.
If you dont accept that offer within X days it lapses and you will have to find your own accommodation.

When you ring them just make sure over the phone you understand what status your account is and if you hold an offer, be clear that if you dont accpet and pay the deposit you will lose your chance at uni acommodation if you go past the deadline. Best done over the phone, not by email.
Reply 4
Just ring them on Monday and get them to clear it up over the phone, will be better for peace of mind.
Normally they require you to pay the deposit at the same time as confirming the booking and the deposit is part of the confirmation. If you dont pay, then your acceptance is incomplete.

What I dont get is that you need to apply for accommodation and they make you an offer.
Normally you have so long to accept that offer. You can only properly accept with paying the deposit as well.
If you dont accept that offer within X days it lapses and you will have to find your own accommodation.

When you ring them just make sure over the phone you understand what status your account is and if you hold an offer, be clear that if you dont accpet and pay the deposit you will lose your chance at uni acommodation if you go past the deadline. Best done over the phone, not by email.

Hi,

Thank you for clearing that up :smile:
I think you are right like I've looked at the terms and conditions and it appears that if I dont pay the £200 deposit, the offer like you said expires! I will also call them first thing on Monday for peace of mind. Thank you!
Hi,

Thank you for clearing that up :smile:
I think you are right like I've looked at the terms and conditions and it appears that if I dont pay the £200 deposit, the offer like you said expires! I will also call them first thing on Monday for peace of mind. Thank you!

The point is are you happy for your only offer to expire? If so, then why did you apply? Presumably you dont like the offer?
Reply 6
The point is are you happy for your only offer to expire? If so, then why did you apply? Presumably you dont like the offer?

Im happy with the offer, it's just I can't afford the £200 right away but I should be able to get the funds from mum and dad
Im happy with the offer, it's just I can't afford the £200 right away but I should be able to get the funds from mum and dad

You know you could have made this thread a lot easier.
Ring them up, explain the issue and ask if you can have an extension. Offers normally lapse if not accepted within a certain time.
I thought you didn’t get an offer of accommodation until August.

I'm still waiting for accom offer. Applied a few months ago, but haven't heard anything back since. Has everyone already heard back then?
Original post by ethanbate
I'm still waiting for accom offer. Applied a few months ago, but haven't heard anything back since. Has everyone already heard back then?

If you're going into first year we get offers on/after A Level results day. Not quite sure about this person's situation but the process is different for different years.
I'm going on to do postgrad. Maybe they're making everyone wait til A-level results day then

Quick Reply

Latest