The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Greetings,

It's not a matter of 'better', or 'worse. It just depends on how wide your academic interests are. In the social sciences, usually you take (for e.g.) 4 modules. In a single hons, all 4 are in Law. In a dual hons, it's likely to be 2 of each. If youre doing a major/minor, it may well be 3/1.

If you are an aspiring lawyer, things are a little more complicated. In order to qualify to enable yourself to move onto the LPC, you must have taken (I think there are 8) the core modules required in Law. If you do not, then you will need to take a conversion course. I personally think it would be an utter waste, if you did a comination law degree, and then an CPE (the conversion course).

If you are looking to go into Law, make sure those core modules are going to be covered. If you have absolutely no interest in becoming a Solicitor/Bar, then, do what you are likely to enjoy.

You may also be wondering which is likely to be easier. Well, I personally think a dual honours degree is easier, as once youre bored of one discipline, you may turn to the other. However, the alternative view is that, it's harder as it requires you to master two different disciplines. (Although, if you're combining with subjects that are so similar i.e. Politics, History, Philosophy etc., the level of difficulty will be broadly similar).

J.S.
Reply 2
Maybe you should try BA law. That way you can do modules outside of law but still come out with a degree that exempts you from the conversion course. At Nottingham BA and LLB are practically interchangeable. If you wanna try politics or whatever you can do it in the first year but if it turns out they suck you can just go back to LLB without it having made any difference to your final grade. Other unis might run a similar scheme, you should check it out.

Latest

Trending

Trending