The Student Room Group

Favourite PS2 Games

BBC recently posted an article about how PS2 is an important piece of gaming history-although there's a thumbnail with GTA IV being displayed on the background. Anyway what are some of you favourites PS2 games? My favourite PS2 games include GTAs Vice City and San Andreas, Burnout 3: Takedown, MGS 2, TimeSplitters 2, Bully and Resident Evil 4.
Final Fantasy X, Jade Cocoon 2, Kingdom Hearts, Champions: Return to Arms, Suikoden 4, Dynasty Tactics, Dark Chronicle
Spider man 2 was the best game
(edited 4 years ago)
I'll avoid the obvious and go for some of my favourite of all time that never get mentioned:

Scarface

Like Vice City, but literally the thing that Vice City is copying. Go to the nightclub, listen to those iconic songs, deal lots and lots of yeyo.

War of the Monsters

The only game I know where you can properly have epic B-movie monster battles, with a completely destructible city (and more) where everything can be used as a weaponm just as you imagine it should be. 'Sequel' to King of the Monsters on Mega Drive (which I also had).

The Thing

I don't like horror games, but I played all of this. Try and keep your crew together and sane, and try and figure out if any of them are actually the thing... while also making sure no one suspects YOU!

State of Emergency

Rockstar's first game after GTA III exploded onto the scene, so it inevitably got panned, but I remember it being a lot of fun.

Godfather

Should've been terrible, was actually pretty good. Definite try for fans of Mafia. Godfather II was Battlefield/front-like dumb fun, but that's PS3.

This Is Football 2003

I wanted FIFA 2003, my mum got this... and it was actually way better. It had lower league football long before FIFA and Pro Evo did; actual seasons (rather than one league campaign) with players developing, aging and retiring; life-like faces; personalities and even the ref had a field of view - I remember Gazza getting revenge on me behind the ref by hacking me down off the ball.
Original post by ozzyoscy
I'll avoid the obvious and go for some of my favourite of all time that never get mentioned:

Scarface

Like Vice City, but literally the thing that Vice City is copying. Go to the nightclub, listen to those iconic songs, deal lots and lots of yeyo.

War of the Monsters

The only game I know where you can properly have epic B-movie monster battles, with a completely destructible city (and more) where everything can be used as a weaponm just as you imagine it should be. 'Sequel' to King of the Monsters on Mega Drive (which I also had).

The Thing

I don't like horror games, but I played all of this. Try and keep your crew together and sane, and try and figure out if any of them are actually the thing... while also making sure no one suspects YOU!

State of Emergency

Rockstar's first game after GTA III exploded onto the scene, so it inevitably got panned, but I remember it being a lot of fun.

Godfather

Should've been terrible, was actually pretty good. Definite try for fans of Mafia. Godfather II was Battlefield/front-like dumb fun, but that's PS3.

This Is Football 2003

I wanted FIFA 2003, my mum got this... and it was actually way better. It had lower league football long before FIFA and Pro Evo did; actual seasons (rather than one league campaign) with players developing, aging and retiring; life-like faces; personalities and even the ref had a field of view - I remember Gazza getting revenge on me behind the ref by hacking me down off the ball.

How can Vice City copy Scarface: The World is Yours when Vice City came first? Of course Vice City took inspiration from the 1984 Scarface film but that's how Vice City built its own identity through composite parts.
Original post by JDINCINERATOR
How can Vice City copy Scarface: The World is Yours when Vice City came first? Of course Vice City took inspiration from the 1984 Scarface film but that's how Vice City built its own identity through composite parts.

Looks like you answered your own silly question eventually.

To clarify, and I can't believe I'm clarifying this, GTA Vice City is a PS2 game from the 2000s. Scarface is a film from 1983. When we were playing Space Invaders. No, Vice City didn't come first, otherwise how would it take inspiration from that and Carlito's Way?
(edited 4 years ago)
Looks like you answered your own silly question eventually.

To clarify, and I can't believe I'm clarifying this, GTA Vice City is a PS2 game from the 2000s. Scarface is a film from 1983. When we were playing Space Invaders. No, Vice City didn't come first, otherwise how would it take inspiration from that and Carlito's Way?

Not really a silly question but if you want to talk silliness maybe it's silly to think Vice City copied the Scarface videogame that came out 4 years later.

I'm only talking about the 1983 Scarface in reference to Vice City's inspiration of it. Again I'm sticking to videogames here, if you want to attempt to disprove me by mentioning the films then go ahead it's up to you.
Original post by JDINCINERATOR
Not really a silly question but if you want to talk silliness maybe it's silly to think Vice City copied the Scarface videogame that came out 4 years later.

I'm only talking about the 1983 Scarface in reference to Vice City's inspiration of it. Again I'm sticking to videogames here, if you want to attempt to disprove me by mentioning the films then go ahead it's up to you.

Erm... this started due to you being ridiculously literal so you could "attempt to disprove" someone on the internets... just chill taking everything so seriously...

Try "thank you for taking the time to reply to my thread and answering my question" instead.
Erm... this started due to you being ridiculously literal so you could "attempt to disprove" someone on the internets... just chill taking everything so seriously...

Try "thank you for taking the time to reply to my thread and answering my question" instead.

I'm not being serious, if anything I thought you were being serious. I can't automatically catch people's vibes from how they write.

I like a discussion and this is a thread for discussion not pleasantries. I appreciate everybody who answers my question, so yes thank you for answering my question-but it goes without saying even though I've now said it.

Quick Reply

Latest