Learner crashed instructors car

Watch
isa8
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
First time with a new instructor and was going along a straight road when the car in front slowed quite dramatically for a pot hole. I thought the car was closer than it was so braked very suddenly - this cars brake is a lot more sensitive than what I’m used to - I didn’t hit the car in front but the one behind tried to swerve around me and slammed into the back and side of the car I was in. Who was at fault here? I know I braked too suddenly but not without reason and I was not used to the car yet as a learner.
VobL
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Issie.4)
First time with a new instructor and was going along a straight road when the car in front slowed quite dramatically for a pot hole. I thought the car was closer than it was so braked very suddenly - this cars brake is a lot more sensitive than what I’m used to - I didn’t hit the car in front but the one behind tried to swerve around me and slammed into the back and side of the car I was in. Who was at fault here? I know I braked too suddenly but not without reason and I was not used to the car yet as a learner.
I know that you’re a learner and not used to the car but you are supposed to check behind you before slowing down to prevent this from happening. Buttt seeing as it was kind of an emergency brake, the person behind you should have been travelling far enough behind you to brake in those situations without hitting you, sounds like the may have been driving too close to you in the first place as they didn’t have adequate stopping distance.
I mean yeah maybe you shouldn’t have braked so hard, but the person who hit you was most likely driving too close to you so I wouldn’t panic
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by VobL)
I know that you’re a learner and not used to the car but you are supposed to check behind you before slowing down to prevent this from happening. Buttt seeing as it was kind of an emergency brake, the person behind you should have been travelling far enough behind you to brake in those situations without hitting you, sounds like the may have been driving too close to you in the first place as they didn’t have adequate stopping distance.
I mean yeah maybe you shouldn’t have braked so hard, but the person who hit you was most likely driving too close to you so I wouldn’t panic
how can she check behind when a car slowing down dramatically in front of you requires an immediate reaction
Anonnorth
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Issie.4)
Dont worry... the car behind should be travelling so they leave a distance that they can stop without hitting the vehicle in front.
The only reasons an insurer would put the blame on the front car is if the rear one had dashcam evidence of the front car deliberately braking to be hit or reversing into the rear car.
Don L Gates
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonnorth)
Dont worry... the car behind should be travelling so they leave a distance that they can stop without hitting the vehicle in front.
The only reasons an insurer would put the blame on the front car is if the rear one had dashcam evidence of the front car deliberately braking to be hit or reversing into the rear car.
Yes this is basically correct. In a collision of this kind, the driver behind (who should have been maintaining a safe distance) is almost always to blame and their insurance company would be the one to pay out. It would only go against you if you had suddenly changed lanes in front of the other driver for example or emerged dangerously in front of them from a junction.

Regards

Don L Gates

UK Driving Skills.co.uk
VobL
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ANM775)
how can she check behind when a car slowing down dramatically in front of you requires an immediate reaction
Yeah see where I said but
I realise that and explained it beneath lol
nevershear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The one that hit you. 9 times out of 10 insurance favours the car that's been rear ended, unless you've done something ridiculous like pull inches in front of a car on a motorway and even then insurance will back you unless they have a dash cam and prove otherwise.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (105)
60.34%
No (69)
39.66%

Watched Threads