How to make good history notes on a laptop?

Watch
Edminzodo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hello, kind people of TSR,

I'm in the process of digitising my UG notes as I may be studying abroad for my MA, and don't want to take all of my many, many notebooks with me.

However, I took notes on paper for my entire degree, and I am finding that my digital notes so far are just large chunks of text, aside from a few bullet points which have dates and key sites.

Does anyone have any hints or tips on how to make these more digestable?

Thanks in advance!
Diplomatic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Edminzodo)
Hello, kind people of TSR,

I'm in the process of digitising my UG notes as I may be studying abroad for my MA, and don't want to take all of my many, many notebooks with me.

However, I took notes on paper for my entire degree, and I am finding that my digital notes so far are just large chunks of text, aside from a few bullet points which have dates and key sites.

Does anyone have any hints or tips on how to make these more digestable?

Thanks in advance!
If you just want to have them in digital format to refer to later, is it plausible to scan everything relevant to you and save them as e.g. PDF notebooks?
Edminzodo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Diplomatic)
If you just want to have them in digital format to refer to later, is it plausible to scan everything relevant to you and save them as e.g. PDF notebooks?
I did think about this but I have 3 years worth of material so it would take an absolute age. I will do this for the modules where I used A4 paper and can just run them through a scanner, but the ones where I used A5 notepads (about half of my modules) are going to have to be typed up.

Also, I want to start using my laptop for notes at MA, so would like some tips on how to transition to this if possible.
Diplomatic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Edminzodo)
I did think about this but I have 3 years worth of material so it would take an absolute age. I will do this for the modules where I used A4 paper and can just run them through a scanner, but the ones where I used A5 notepads (about half of my modules) are going to have to be typed up.

Also, I want to start using my laptop for notes at MA, so would like some tips on how to transition to this if possible.
Have you used Anki before? Really helped make learning efficient during my degree, particularly in modules where there's a lot to remember.

It's not a one size fits all solution, e.g. I don't find it useful for quantitative topics.

This video might give you some useful advice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukLnPbIffxE
Edminzodo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Diplomatic)
Have you used Anki before? Really helped make learning efficient during my degree, particularly in modules where there's a lot to remember.

It's not a one size fits all solution, e.g. I don't find it useful for quantitative topics.

This video might give you some useful advice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukLnPbIffxE
Thank you so much - yes, I know about Anki, but never really used it much.

And I've seen this channel before - will take a look.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (73)
27.76%
No - I have already returned home (30)
11.41%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.53%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.65%
No - I live at home during term anyway (78)
29.66%

Watched Threads