yh imperial is for medical isnt it?

and LSE business
barry_4_england
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think a lot of these are made up!

Loughborough vs Bath is by far the biggest sporting rivalry.
LaurenFah
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Lancaster Vs. York is a very big one.

Roses war... roses tournament etc.
J-OD
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Krush)
That makes absolutely no sense, rivalries usually emerge due to location, not academic standards. And what's with the expert opinion regarding university ranking: "between the best and the upper midrange ones". You haven't even started your A-levels yet!

ive been around both of those universities before and lived in york plus my brother studied at warwick, and you could use the same argument for oxford and cambridge .. there is 90 miles between them two, so rivalry can occur from the intake that universities typically have. i suppose the initial idea of the warwick york pairing was probably born out of the necessity to pair them all off.. so i am only speculating on why it was first suggested
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Bristol vs. Durham? Genuine question, is this a rivalry? Just seems odd for two universities so far away from each other.
AfghanistanBananistan
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why Nottingham v Birmingham? from Nottingham's perspective Warwick seems to be our main rival both academically and locality wise.
croissantfever
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Bristol vs. Durham?
No, Bristol vs Durham is entirely fictional.

Newcastle vs Durham however, does exist, albeit only really for the boatrace and a couple of Charity sports matches.
Music Is My Boyfriend
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Falmouth v Plymouth especially in the surf comps haha.
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by croissantfever)
No, Bristol vs Durham is entirely fictional.
:yep: The OP picked that one out of thin air, certainly. I think it comes down to the similar stature (but then there are others of a similar stature such as UCL and Warwick) and maybe they are both seen as "Rah" unis. But there's no rivalry or historical connection there. Durham pre-Victorian uni, Bristol Victorian red brick. Two opposite ends of England....

Newcastle vs Durham however, does exist, albeit only really for the boatrace and a couple of Charity sports matches.
Yeah, I wouldn't say there's a major Newcastle and Durham rivarly. It's restricted to the boat race (where Newcastle get slaughtered every year :p: ) and that's about it. But at least there's a historical connection there (we used to own Newcastle!)

The typical traditional uni v. ex poly rivalry is more true with Newcastle. Even then, I don't think it's really seen as a big thing from either Newcastle or Northumbria.

As for Durham (I know I risk being slaughtered for this) but what about Oxbridge? NOT academically but just in a sporting context (through the Doxbridge sport tournament. The only time that term should ever be used).

But we all know it's about college rivalry in Durham
Audrey Hepburn
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oxford vs. Oxford Brooks
croissantfever
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by River85)

As for Durham (I know I risk being slaughtered for this) but what about Oxbridge? NOT academically but just in a sporting context (through the Doxbridge sport tournament. The only time that term should ever be used).
I guess you're right there, been to Doxbridge three times and the rivalry between Durham and Oxbridge tends to stay there. Apart from sports like Cricket, where only Oxbridge Durham and Loughborough are first class cricket sides, and rowing, where the Oxford v Cambridge boatrace gets all the fame despite Durham having the better rowing club......:yep:
foxo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by T. Hereford)
Edinburgh vs. St. Andrews
Nah. Edinburgh vs. Glasgow.

St. Andrews is too insignificant for either to notice them. :p:
Nabster_88
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
York v Lancaster.
Comp_Genius
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thames Valley vs. Wolverhampton.
IITian
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by River85)
:yep: The OP picked that one out of thin air, certainly. I think it comes down to the similar stature (but then there are others of a similar stature such as UCL and Warwick) and maybe they are both seen as "Rah" unis. But there's no rivalry or historical connection there. Durham pre-Victorian uni, Bristol Victorian red brick. Two opposite ends of England....

Yeah, I wouldn't say there's a major Newcastle and Durham rivarly. It's restricted to the boat race (where Newcastle get slaughtered every year :p: ) and that's about it. But at least there's a historical connection there (we used to own Newcastle!)

The typical traditional uni v. ex poly rivalry is more true with Newcastle. Even then, I don't think it's really seen as a big thing from either Newcastle or Northumbria.

But we all know it's about college rivalry in Durham
Where did Durham come in the Busa league? Third I imagine?
J-OD
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
[QUOTE=croissantfever]
Newcastle vs Durham however, QUOTE]

the durham lot arent complaining when they go out in newcastle on a night though!
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by IITian)
Where did Durham come in the Busa league? Third I imagine?
Overall this year? Fourth (behind Loughbrough, Bath and Birmingham)

http://www.busa.org.uk/page.asp?sect...=Championships
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Newcastle vs Durham however, QUOTE]

the durham lot arent complaining when they go out in newcastle on a night though!
Which doesn't happen as much as many think (due to cost and distance). 'Tis 20 miles.

There's no rivalry there at all (outside of the boat race). Even this isn't that big a deal. College rivarly is more intense.
londoner21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jismith1989)
There're also the less academic rivalries (i.e. more social rivalries) between established universities and their newer counterparts. For example, Manchester looking down on Manchester Met and them equally looking down on Salford.
I know loads of people that nicknamed Manchester Met the "Early Learning Centre". Myself not included of course.

"The Man Met parties were awesome, since their coursework (i.e. dot-to-dots and wordsearches) left them with so much more free time." (again not a quote from me)
Alex D
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Warwick medics vs. Leicester medics
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (124)
17.92%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (72)
10.4%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (119)
17.2%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (101)
14.6%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (67)
9.68%
How can I be the best version of myself? (209)
30.2%

Watched Threads