Can't study my favourite subject because of my A-levels

Watch
NowWhatDoIDo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Long story short, I don't know what to do anymore after a-level exams, which are in a couple months. I'm moving abroad with my family to start a new life in summer and I aspire to study university there too.

Problem is that there are degree courses already available that I want to study, but I don't meet their requirements. I would love to study any biology related subject and the requirements state that I must have studied chemistry and biology in my final years (yr12&13). I always wanted to study these two subjects for a-level, but when GCSE results day came, my sixth form didn't allow me to study them, although I got grade 7-7 (A) in science; my maths grade of 4 ruined it ;(
I ended up picking business, ICT and art. Honestly, i hate these subjects but I had to choose something to have higher education than GCSEs.

Now that I want to study science abroad, I'm stressing out because I will never get to. As I'm aware, universities abroad do not facilitate students to apply for science courses with foundation year, like the UK does. I don't have a passion for anything else but science that legit motivates me to take on further study in the field and do something useful with myself in it. I will be taking a gap year to think about my options abroad, but I would love to know what you guys recommend I should do or any ideas you have as well

God im so lost aha
OneStudyataTime
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Honestly, a gap year probably would be best for you. In that year, you could study ALevel biology and chemistry in a year or seeing if you could get the needed qualifications from the country you move to.
Lots of universitys abroad have different course 'set ups' so where we have foundation degrees, they have similar degrees but at lower levels. I would do as much research about high learning in the country you are going to- see if you schools career adviser knows anything!
Try not to dispair too much!

Out of curiosity, have you heard of The Open University? It's an online uni that you can choose lots of different modules to learn about, similar to the american system i think, and it often has lower grades. As it's online, you can complete it anywhere in the world. You should definitely have a look into it, as it could be just the thing you need

Good Luck!
NowWhatDoIDo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by OneStudyataTime)
Honestly, a gap year probably would be best for you. In that year, you could study ALevel biology and chemistry in a year or seeing if you could get the needed qualifications from the country you move to.
Lots of universitys abroad have different course 'set ups' so where we have foundation degrees, they have similar degrees but at lower levels. I would do as much research about high learning in the country you are going to- see if you schools career adviser knows anything!
Try not to dispair too much!

Out of curiosity, have you heard of The Open University? It's an online uni that you can choose lots of different modules to learn about, similar to the american system i think, and it often has lower grades. As it's online, you can complete it anywhere in the world. You should definitely have a look into it, as it could be just the thing you need

Good Luck!
Aaa great, cheers for your advice! I also think gap year will be best for me. And, I've heard of The Open University before as one of my friends suggested it too, but is it legitimate..? - like, will this make me look good to my employer that I've done such distance learning, or could they downgrade me?
OneStudyataTime
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by NowWhatDoIDo)
Aaa great, cheers for your advice! I also think gap year will be best for me. And, I've heard of The Open University before as one of my friends suggested it too, but is it legitimate..? - like, will this make me look good to my employer that I've done such distance learning, or could they downgrade me?
It is legitimate, plenty of people have degrees from there. Often people choose the open uni over normal university because they want to work alongside studying which isn't really possible in the standard uni system.
If you get a good end grade, no-one really cares where you got it from. In fact, some employers might be more impressed as you will have to motivate yourself and its more 'off-your-own-back' than other unis. If you are interested, I'd definitely have a look on their website, maybe see if you can ask them/current students more questions on specific things.
As with most things in life, the sooner you research/find things out, the more choices you have and better informed you'll be!
Hope that helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (31)
29.25%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.43%
No I am happy with my choice (59)
55.66%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (6)
5.66%

Watched Threads