The Student Room Group

What qualifies as a major coronavirus outbreak?

In the uk we have around 200 cases now. When will schools close if they do? What will happen to our GCSEs?
Bro don’t be stressing about GCSEs. I have my A Level exams this summer but don’t even know if I’ll be going to university this year because of this huge mess.
Reply 2
Original post by Sean2202
Bro don’t be stressing about GCSEs. I have my A Level exams this summer but don’t even know if I’ll be going to university this year because of this huge mess.

Ooof
Original post by ItZIbus
In the uk we have around 200 cases now. When will schools close if they do? What will happen to our GCSEs?

They are unlikely to cancel GCSE’s or alevels in their entirety - if you are sick you would obviously have to stay at home but people who had been staying at home and arnt sick would probably have to come in and take exams even if school was closed - they could take temperatures on the door of the exam sort of like Chinese supermarkets but yeh bcz Young people are the least effected group at the moment exams being cancelled is unlikely schools might be shut though
Reply 4
Original post by emilybond:)
They are unlikely to cancel GCSE’s or alevels in their entirety - if you are sick you would obviously have to stay at home but people who had been staying at home and arnt sick would probably have to come in and take exams even if school was closed - they could take temperatures on the door of the exam sort of like Chinese supermarkets but yeh bcz Young people are the least effected group at the moment exams being cancelled is unlikely schools might be shut though

Ahhh I think I’ll most likely just stay at home cause I’ve got quite bad asthma so don’t wanna risk it.Plus I’m happy with my predicted grades 😅
Reply 5
Original post by Sean2202

Innit. My mocks didn’t go brilliant because I didn’t revise since I though they didn’t matter anyway. I’m expecting top grades in all subjects in the actual exams and if they get cancelled or I’m ill, I’ll be livid. Not losing the uni place I had to sit an admissions test and interview for because of people who keep going on holiday during an outbreak (including my neighbours), and the government thinking it will be okay because of our “wonderful” NHS. 😑
Reply 6
Original post by ItZIbus
Ahhh I think I’ll most likely just stay at home cause I’ve got quite bad asthma so don’t wanna risk it.Plus I’m happy with my predicted grades 😅

There’s no precedent or guarantee to say that you’ll get your predicted grades just because you decided to stay at home to not risk it.
Reply 7
Original post by ItZIbus

They ain’t going by predicted grades. But if you’re only doing GCSEs I suspect unis will just disregard them after you do a levels if they are affected by the coronavirus. If exams get cancelled, they will get done over the summer likely, and if you are ill, there will probably be other dates with different papers due to so many people also being ill. Of course they may just look at mock results, which isn’t fair for me since I did mine 5 months before the actual exam, so my ability could have changed dramatically in that time.
Original post by Em.-.
Innit. My mocks didn’t go brilliant because I didn’t revise since I though they didn’t matter anyway. I’m expecting top grades in all subjects in the actual exams and if they get cancelled or I’m ill, I’ll be livid. Not losing the uni place I had to sit an admissions test and interview for because of people who keep going on holiday during an outbreak (including my neighbours), and the government thinking it will be okay because of our “wonderful” NHS. 😑

Tbf I reckon they’ll use other evidence like topic tests as well which should helppppp. But yeah it’s a stressful time, let’s just pray the situation doesn’t get much worse
🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼
Either they wont cancel the GCSEs, or it will get so bad then the last thing you will care about are GCSE exams.

Honestly though it really isn't that bad as it stands.
Original post by ItZIbus

Well for GCSE's they might just delay them so I woudln;t rely on that also if they say you have to go in aka despite the outbreak they are going ahead you would have to go in asthma or not, because currently the illness policy still stands - you have to sit 40% of your exams to get a grade and you can only miss the other 60% due to extreme circumstances (i.e. actually having Coronavirus) so having asthma and staying at home isn't a good enough reason. Also GCSE exams don't need to be sat in June i.e. you don't need the grades until you apply for uni in year 13 so they will probably never be fully cancelled A-levels are the ones likely to go off predicted grades but only in like a worst-case thousands and thousands dying in the UK scenario
Original post by emilybond:)
Well for GCSE's they might just delay them so I woudln;t rely on that also if they say you have to go in aka despite the outbreak they are going ahead you would have to go in asthma or not, because currently the illness policy still stands - you have to sit 40% of your exams to get a grade and you can only miss the other 60% due to extreme circumstances (i.e. actually having Coronavirus) so having asthma and staying at home isn't a good enough reason. Also GCSE exams don't need to be sat in June i.e. you don't need the grades until you apply for uni in year 13 so they will probably never be fully cancelled A-levels are the ones likely to go off predicted grades but only in like a worst-case thousands and thousands dying in the UK scenario

Never heard of that 40/60 percent thing, good to know👌
Original post by bennyj901
Either they wont cancel the GCSEs, or it will get so bad then the last thing you will care about are GCSE exams.

Honestly though it really isn't that bad as it stands.

its been cancelled now :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending