Paolog1961
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Is there an official deadline to submit courseworks for BTEC in level 3 Drama courses?
Is the deadline set for any School or Academy Six Form the same date or it may differ?
Are the deadlines for courseworks during the academic year set by the teachers or by the Business and Technology Education Council?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Paolog1961)
Is there an official deadline to submit courseworks for BTEC in level 3 Drama courses?
Is the deadline set for any School or Academy Six Form the same date or it may differ?
Are the deadlines for courseworks during the academic year set by the teachers or by the Business and Technology Education Council?
There is a deadline for when your teacher has to submit samples for moderation.
Teacher can set their own deadline for when they want work in, so as to give them enough time to mark.
If you need an extension ask the teacher.
It should also be somewhere on the btec exam timetable.
Paolog1961
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
There is a deadline for when your teacher has to submit samples for moderation.
Teacher can set their own deadline for when they want work in, so as to give them enough time to mark.
If you need an extension ask the teacher.
It should also be somewhere on the btec exam timetable.
Thank you for your reply.
However, I cannot find any website which explain the deadlines and rules for BTEC schools or academies.
My son has missed his deadline of Drama BTEC of Friday 7th Feb 2020. He handed in his coursework on Monday 10th Feb and on Wednesday we were told by the headteacher that he was now excluded from the school and therefore he would not be able to finish his course. His school mate in the same course also missed the same deadline but he has been allowed to attend lessons and continue the course...
The school is telling us that the Business and Technology Education Council are the ones imposing the strict deadlines on them and that because he missed that deadline he cannot be entered for the exam... I always thought that BTEC don't have exams but they base final results on coursework... ???
999tigger
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you for your reply.
However, I cannot find any website which explain the deadlines and rules for BTEC schools or academies.
My son has missed his deadline of Drama BTEC of Friday 7th Feb 2020. He handed in his coursework on Monday 10th Feb and on Wednesday we were told by the headteacher that he was now excluded from the school and therefore he would not be able to finish his course. His school mate in the same course also missed the same deadline but he has been allowed to attend lessons and continue the course...
The school is telling us that the Business and Technology Education Council are the ones imposing the strict deadlines on them and that because he missed that deadline he cannot be entered for the exam... I always thought that BTEC don't have exams but they base final results on coursework... ???
What sort of BTEC is it? Level 2 (GCSE) Level 3 (A level).
Its an extended diploma?
Why did he miss the deadline? Did he have an excuse? Normally work that misses the deadline scores 0 and you have to pass every module to pass the qualification.

If you believe his classmate was treated differently on the same circumstances then make a complaint.

I would check with Pearson. They are quite tricky to contact, but try the subject co ordinator as they will know the rules.

Perhaps this guy can throw some clarification onto the rules or you will just have to try Pearson customer service.
https://qualifications.pearson.com/e...arts-2016.html
https://qualifications.pearson.com/e...-the-team.html
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/contact-us.html

Ps the poster known as "Compost" will have more expertise and they may be kind enough to offer an opinion, but I would also clarify with BTEC to see if there are any other options.
Last edited by 999tigger; 4 weeks ago
Paolog1961
Rep:
?
What sort of BTEC is it? Level 2 (GCSE) Level 3 (A level).
Its an extended diploma?
Why did he miss the deadline? Did he have an excuse? Normally work that misses the deadline scores 0 and you have to pass every module to pass the qualification.

If you believe his classmate was treated differently on the same circumstances then make a complaint.

I would check with Pearson. They are quite tricky to contact, but try the subject co ordinator as they will know the rules.

Perhaps this guy can throw some clarification onto the rules or you will just have to try Pearson customer service.
https://qualifications.pearson.com/e...arts-2016.html
https://qualifications.pearson.com/e...-the-team.html
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/contact-us.html

Ps the poster known as "Compost" will have more expertise and they may be kind enough to offer an opinion, but I would also clarify with BTEC to see if there are any other options.
Hi and thank you.
Yes it's a Level 3 BTEC at the Southfields Academy Sixth Form Year 13.
And no, he did not have an excuse either than finishing his work written on paper over the weekend and handing it in to the teachers on Monday morning instead of Friday when he did not go to the school claiming that he wasn't feeling well.
I made a complaint with the Principal of the Academy. However, she told me that my son has no Drama lessons to attend now because, by not submitting his coursework by the aforementioned deadline, he has apparently (in her own words) "excluded himself from the school".
I already new, and you have confirmed it to me, on the contrary of what she is telling me, that this "strict deadline" (as they are calling it) that my son missed was set by the teachers and not by BTEC. Therefore it would be subject to the teacher's discretion to extending it any further, as it has happened for this other student where the the whole class knows about it... they are also telling me that they had already extended the deadline by two week and that this was a final extension... but shouldn't that apply also to the other student?
I had a meeting with the principal last Friday and she said she would investigate.
I'm waiting to hear from her and intend to take it further if she does not get back to me with good news. I will forward my complaint to the school's Governors and if neccessary to the Academy Trust.
999tigger
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi and thank you.
Yes it's a Level 3 BTEC at the Southfields Academy Sixth Form Year 13.
And no, he did not have an excuse either than finishing his work written on paper over the weekend and handing it in to the teachers on Monday morning instead of Friday when he did not go to the school claiming that he wasn't feeling well.
I made a complaint with the Principal of the Academy. However, she told me that my son has no Drama lessons to attend now because, by not submitting his coursework by the aforementioned deadline, he has apparently (in her own words) "excluded himself from the school".
I already new, and you have confirmed it to me, on the contrary of what she is telling me, that this "strict deadline" (as they are calling it) that my son missed was set by the teachers and not by BTEC. Therefore it would be subject to the teacher's discretion to extending it any further, as it has happened for this other student where the the whole class knows about it... they are also telling me that they had already extended the deadline by two week and that this was a final extension... but shouldn't that apply also to the other student?
I had a meeting with the principal last Friday and she said she would investigate.
I'm waiting to hear from her and intend to take it further if she does not get back to me with good news. I will forward my complaint to the school's Governors and if neccessary to the Academy Trust.
You need to speak to Pearson who know the rules and cna explain where your son stands.
Your son sounds ridiculously dopey as its his responsibility to get the work in.
If he was ill he should have rung in and cleared it with the teacher.

If this was in fact a 2 week final extension (what was the reason for the extension), then why didnt your son respect it and make the deadline? If it falls to their discretion, then they have the right to exercise it.

Perhaps the other students situation is different, they had actual reasons, GPs note, personal issues or asked to hand it in on Monday, which makes a difference.

1. Talk to BTEC
2. See what principal come up with.
3. Make a complaint based on this other student as nothing to lose.
Paolog1961
Rep:
?
You need to speak to Pearson who know the rules and cna explain where your son stands.
Your son sounds ridiculously dopey as its his responsibility to get the work in.
If he was ill he should have rung in and cleared it with the teacher.

If this was in fact a 2 week final extension (what was the reason for the extension), then why didnt your son respect it and make the deadline? If it falls to their discretion, then they have the right to exercise it.

Perhaps the other students situation is different, they had actual reasons, GPs note, personal issues or asked to hand it in on Monday, which makes a difference.

1. Talk to BTEC
2. See what principal come up with.
3. Make a complaint based on this other student as nothing to lose.
thank you 999tigger
I don't know yet if the other student had any valid reasons. The fact we know though is that he was given well over another extra week more than my son after that final deadline to finish his work... I wonder if the school could try to cover themselves by making up untrue facts to justify their decisions...
999tigger
Report 4 weeks ago
thank you 999tigger
I don't know yet if the other student had any valid reasons. The fact we know though is that he was given well over another extra week more than my son after that final deadline to finish his work... I wonder if the school could try to cover themselves by making up untrue facts to justify their decisions...
Gather the facts as suggested and then you can make an informed decision.
If the other person informed before the deadline and had a doctors letter that puts them in a better position by far.
Its a bit depressing your child just didnt follow the deadline like everyone else or of they were feeling ill, they didnt notify the teacher.

You might as well push it as far as you can. Be better if you had guidance from btec as then you can quote that back to the school.
If its within his discretion then thats their prerogative, unless the decision was completely abnormal. At university many score you 0 if you dont make the deadline. I accpet the fact that the nature of btec making it a complete fail is much harsher than A level.

Good luck and see how you get on.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (337)
34.74%
No (633)
65.26%

Watched Threads