The Student Room Group

physics

whats a way to demonstrate a passion for physics at age 15 because i heard that colleges and universities like this
Reply 1
Make sure you pick A level physics
Read books on a topic of ohysics that you like
Go to lectures or watch some online on YouTube, I personally liked the ones offered by Stanford.
However, it’s all bit early. I didn’t even know I wanted to physics until the end of year 12 so you’ve got time to build your personal statement to prove your interest and you need to make sure you’re interested in physics and maths at A level otherwise not worth studying it at uni, so there’s still a lot of time to go.
Original post by PL1234
Make sure you pick A level physics
Read books on a topic of ohysics that you like
Go to lectures or watch some online on YouTube, I personally liked the ones offered by Stanford.
However, it’s all bit early. I didn’t even know I wanted to physics until the end of year 12 so you’ve got time to build your personal statement to prove your interest and you need to make sure you’re interested in physics and maths at A level otherwise not worth studying it at uni, so there’s still a lot of time to go.

what do you mean by lectures
Reply 3
Original post by losteenager15
what do you mean by lectures

Like a talk on physics. There’s some at UCL or were some but that depends on location
Can 15 year olds attend?
Read lots of books based on physics
Find a specific area in physics that interests you and learn more about it
Follow pages on your social media accounts that share physics posts- a few can even be meme pages
Follow scientists on social media
Do iGCSE and A level Physics and Math (and further math) and do your best to score the maximum grade you can
Keep asking doubts and being curious even if no one wants to listen
Try having conversations on physics rather than small talk with people who also share the interest or is willing to at least listen
Find scientists that can motivate you
Watch documentaries
Read articles
Write articles?
Watch Cosmos, which is an amazing series
Buy the book Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Follow science news and science updates
Yep, this is what I do.
Are you passionate or trying to be passionate?
Original post by Brianna.l_cia
Read lots of books based on physics
Find a specific area in physics that interests you and learn more about it
Follow pages on your social media accounts that share physics posts- a few can even be meme pages
Follow scientists on social media
Do iGCSE and A level Physics and Math (and further math) and do your best to score the maximum grade you can
Keep asking doubts and being curious even if no one wants to listen
Try having conversations on physics rather than small talk with people who also share the interest or is willing to at least listen
Find scientists that can motivate you
Watch documentaries
Read articles
Write articles?
Watch Cosmos, which is an amazing series
Buy the book Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Follow science news and science updates
Yep, this is what I do.
Are you passionate or trying to be passionate?

I guess both. I already gained a deep interest but cant conclude if its enough for a university to like me:/ did you attend lectures that were open to the public
I guess both. I already gained a deep interest but cant conclude if its enough for a university to like me:/ did you attend lectures that were open to the public

No I haven't. In the country I live, there's nothing of that sort. If you want, you can private message me your instagram so I can dm you some things. What have you dont to gain deep interest?
Reply 8

This all only really matters in the personal statement part of your application, where you write up to 4000 characters (roughly a page) explaining your motivation to study the subject, why you chose it, why it's right for you etc. So you can mention books you've read and explain why they inspired you to study it further. I didn't mention any public lectures in mine, but if you're interested in physics they may be worth attending anyway.
Are there any extra-curricular clubs at your school that you could join that are related?
Original post by Brianna.l_cia
No I haven't. In the country I live, there's nothing of that sort. If you want, you can private message me your instagram so I can dm you some things. What have you dont to gain deep interest?

Instagram: uummrrrr (2 u's 2 m's 4 r's)

Quick Reply

Latest