bennyj901
Badges: 17
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I was wondering what 'parts' of maths are studied in Maths A level since the reforms a few years ago.

As far as I am aware there is Pure, Statistics, Core Pure,Further Mechanics, Further Core, Further Stats and Decision.

Which of these are part of 'Basic' A level (I think just Pure and Stats?), and which are part of further?
Canary84
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Probably easiest to split for exams (I did edexcel so may vary)
A-level Maths : Pure 1 (2hr), Pure 2 (2hr), Statistics and Mechanics (one combined 2hr exam)

Further Maths (all 1hr 30 exams): Compulsory : Core Pure 1, Core pure 2.

Take 2 of: Further pure 1, Further pure 2, Further mech 1, further mech 2, further stats 1, further stats 2, decision 1 , decision 2.
I think u also have to do the 1 in a category to be able to do the 2 not sure though or this is just obviously advised
SkyRunner61
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
It varies depending on exam board and options. You’d have to check each specific exam board if you want any meaningful comparison
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by bennyj901)
I was wondering what 'parts' of maths are studied in Maths A level since the reforms a few years ago.

As far as I am aware there is Pure, Statistics, Core Pure,Further Mechanics, Further Core, Further Stats and Decision.

Which of these are part of 'Basic' A level (I think just Pure and Stats?), and which are part of further?
For A Level maths everyone studies pure, statistics and mechanics and there are no options. In further maths there is a compulsory pure section and then there are options that include further stats, further mechanics, further pure and decision maths.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (49)
16.23%
I'm not sure (8)
2.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (103)
34.11%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.32%
I'm not a current university student (138)
45.7%

Watched Threads