Automatic cars vs Manual

Watch
missesdt
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Is automatic cars more expensive to insure ?

Pros and cons of manual

Pros and cons of Automatic
Admit-One
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You could find out the answer to the first Q with any price comparison site.
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by missesdt)

Pros and cons of manual

Learn to drive manual - then you can drive both. I prefer a manual - you have better control
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
In my experience, yes. With no other changes, my Audi A6 Avant (manual) was cheaper to insure than my VW Golf estate (automatic). Both with exactly the same 130bhp diesel engine. They're harder for the insurance company to replace than manuals because manuals are more common. It could be argued that the automatic test is easier to pass than the manual test, so drivers who've passed the harder manual test are more skilled. This wouldn't come into play so much with larger luxury cars, but who would buy say a Nissan Micra with an automatic gearbox unless they couldn't legally drive a manual.
David Getling
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Pros and cons of manual

I've owned and driven both. Unless you like the hazzle get an automatic, especially if you are going to be doing city driving with lots of stopping and starting. My last vehicle was an automatic 4WD, and it got me up rough mountain roads.
tmr19
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 23 hours ago

Pros and cons of manual

Auto:
+ Obviously easier generally, new ones get better MPG, smoother driving experience, easier in traffic, faster shifting
- More expensive to buy, more expensive repairs/maintenence, some cheaper/older ones can be clunky and "stupid" in how/when they shift

Manual
+ Cheaper to buy and maintain, can be more fun in certain cars, better degree of control
- Many newer and higher end cars don't have them, can be a pain in stop start traffic, worse MPG
iMZee
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 minutes ago
Auto:
+ Faster shifting in modern high performance cars, require less maintenance generally, new ones better mpg (more gears), smoothness, you just focus on steering
- Slower to shift in older cars (pre 2012 roughly), more expensive, older ones lower mpg, cheap autos are very very bad

Manual
+ Cheaper to buy and maintain, more engaging to drive, more control of the car, can make a boring commute fun, if driven right similar mpg to autos, eco boxes have extremely light clutches (feels like you're pressing air)
- Many newer and higher end cars don't have them (havent had them for years), Performance clutches can be heavy, replacement clutches every so often, can miss-shift, can grind gears
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (103)
61.31%
No (65)
38.69%

Watched Threads