The Student Room Group

University of Buckingham Medicine 2021 Entry

Hi, i have received an interview call for MbChB starting Yr 2021 .I would like to know the following :

1)How reputed is University of Buckingham for Medicine?
2)I heard that the school doesn't provide internships, but is that difficult to find after completion of course for an international student ?
3)Can we practice as a doctor after finishing 4.5 yr course?
4)Can we take further post graduate studies in UK without PLAB?

Any response to above will be much appreciated..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi...is anyone looking for admission to University of Buckingham for year 2021?
Reply 2
Thank you so much for response.Appreciate it.Could you kindly advise me if it’s advantageous to do medicine in UK or in Ireland?? I have already finished my interview with Queens University Belfast though I haven’t heard from them yet.
Original post by merinann
Hi, i have received an interview call for MbChB starting Yr 2021 .I would like to know the following :

1)How reputed is University of Buckingham for Medicine?
2)I heard that the school doesn't provide internships, but is that difficult to find after completion of course for an international student ?
3)Can we practice as a doctor after finishing 4.5 yr course?
4)Can we take further post graduate studies in UK without PLAB?

Any response to above will be much appreciated..

Hello,
I am a final year medical student at Buckingham. Firstly, congratulations on your interview offer.
1) The University of Buckingham's medicine course is fairly new which means only one cohort have graduated thus far and my cohort would be the second to graduate in June this year. That being said, this is no disadvantage to any students as Buckingham Medical school received GMC accreditation which means that they would have to meet a certain standard before this was granted.
Having gone through the 4.5 year programme, I must say that the teaching quality is great and the university is well known for this due to its small staff:student ratio. More information which can be found here
https://www.buckingham.ac.uk/news/university-of-buckingham-tops-rankings-for-the-third-year-running-in-teaching-quality/

Another thing is that the university now receives several applications for medicine entry which makes it now quite competitive as can be found here buckingham.ac.uk/news/medical-school-applications-up-25-as-course-receives-its-official-gmc-accreditation/

Like someone has already mentioned above, it doesn't matter which medical school you attend in the UK as all doctors will be applying through the UK Foundation training programme which is a points based system (awarding of points based on your performance at medical school + another exam called the situational judgement test)

2) The internships you are referring to is the Foundation training (FY1 + FY2) which Buckingham offers just as any other medical school in the UK. Home and International students are assessed on the same level and as mentioned above if you have a high points score (based off the system) you can rank your jobs and get your top choices

3) Yes you can practice as a doctor when you qualify (i.e enter FY1)

4) When you qualify from any medical school in the UK, there is no need to take the PLAB as long as the university is GMC accredited and Buckingham is.

All the best with your interview and PM if you would like more information. :smile:
Hi,
I’ve also applied to bucking however I’ve applied for biomedical sciences, is this course accredited by the GMC as cov uni phoned me and I told them about my other offers and they’ve said it may not be accredited. Any help also accommodation and cost of living would be appreciated
Reply 5
Hello
Anyone applied to University of Buckingham MBChB 2021 entry. Has anyone finished with their interview? Due to the COVID-19, was the interview done via skype?
Reply 6
Hi,my interview was supposed to be in May which got postponed to August.How about rest of you??
Reply 7
Hey guys. Do you think it matters if your medical degree is from a private university like UoB as long as it is GMC accredited? Will such degree make it more difficult to get jobs in the NHS?
Reply 8
Hi,my interview was supposed to be in May which got postponed to August.How about rest of you??

Mine's in August too, I guess they just moved it forward
Reply 9
How long do they usually take to reply once you've applied?
Just out of interest, how are people paying for this degree?

It's unbelievable expensive - never mind the addition of living costs!
Reply 11
Original post by rgphysio
Just out of interest, how are people paying for this degree?

It's unbelievable expensive - never mind the addition of living costs!

If you're international, most UK medical degrees cost the same if not more.
Original post by Ripper Phoenix
Hello,
I am a final year medical student at Buckingham. Firstly, congratulations on your interview offer.
1) The University of Buckingham's medicine course is fairly new which means only one cohort have graduated thus far and my cohort would be the second to graduate in June this year. That being said, this is no disadvantage to any students as Buckingham Medical school received GMC accreditation which means that they would have to meet a certain standard before this was granted.
Having gone through the 4.5 year programme, I must say that the teaching quality is great and the university is well known for this due to its small staff:student ratio. More information which can be found here
https://www.buckingham.ac.uk/news/university-of-buckingham-tops-rankings-for-the-third-year-running-in-teaching-quality/

Another thing is that the university now receives several applications for medicine entry which makes it now quite competitive as can be found here buckingham.ac.uk/news/medical-school-applications-up-25-as-course-receives-its-official-gmc-accreditation/

Like someone has already mentioned above, it doesn't matter which medical school you attend in the UK as all doctors will be applying through the UK Foundation training programme which is a points based system (awarding of points based on your performance at medical school + another exam called the situational judgement test)

2) The internships you are referring to is the Foundation training (FY1 + FY2) which Buckingham offers just as any other medical school in the UK. Home and International students are assessed on the same level and as mentioned above if you have a high points score (based off the system) you can rank your jobs and get your top choices

3) Yes you can practice as a doctor when you qualify (i.e enter FY1)

4) When you qualify from any medical school in the UK, there is no need to take the PLAB as long as the university is GMC accredited and Buckingham is.

All the best with your interview and PM if you would like more information. :smile:

Hi I'm enquiring about the medicine course at Buckingham and other courses such as the Pre-Med and Biomedical sciences. After doing the Pre-Med do you know if you can apply to another medical school than Buckingham? And what about the tuition fees, did you receive a bursary or a student finance loan from the government. The course looks good but the only problem for me is finances. Thanks!
would like to apply for 2021 entry, anyone wants to apply for 2021 entry as well??
haven't finished my personal statement yet.
Original post by anthony1110
would like to apply for 2021 entry, anyone wants to apply for 2021 entry as well??
haven't finished my personal statement yet.

I am applying for the January 2021 and I haven't written the personal statement yet either.
Reply 15
Hi,I am an I international student and I am slightly confused as to whether university of buckingham has two centers where we can opt to-one in buckingham and one in Crewe?? Or is it both one and same??
Hi,I am an I international student and I am slightly confused as to whether university of buckingham has two centers where we can opt to-one in buckingham and one in Crewe?? Or is it both one and same??

Hey, from the website this is what they have said

'Welcoming UK and international students from September 2019, the facility will offer degrees in Biomedical Sciences and Podiatry. The campus will also offer a one-year Medical Foundation and a one-year Pre-Medical course; these courses are specifically designed for entry to UK medical and dental schools.'

I studied med in Bucks and from my understanding, the Crewe campus offers degrees in biomed, podiatry and a one year foundation course in medicine. The actual 4.5 year med course is run at the buckingham campus. Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Ripper Phoenix
Hey, from the website this is what they have said

'Welcoming UK and international students from September 2019, the facility will offer degrees in Biomedical Sciences and Podiatry. The campus will also offer a one-year Medical Foundation and a one-year Pre-Medical course; these courses are specifically designed for entry to UK medical and dental schools.'

I studied med in Bucks and from my understanding, the Crewe campus offers degrees in biomed, podiatry and a one year foundation course in medicine. The actual 4.5 year med course is run at the buckingham campus. Hope that helps :smile:

Thanks.appreciate your response.
What grades are people applying with ? Im applying with ABB.

hi! May I ask is the interview going to be conducted via skype due to the COVID-19?

Latest