The Student Room Group

School won't help

I have been diagnosed w dyslexia, APD and SPD I am mid diagnosis for ADHD and autism too. The school knows this and has not helped me at all. The NHS has recommended to them that I have social and emotional support, they have recommended putting me in a higher Ed smaller class rather than moving me down sets and have advised a keyworker, SEN aid, an exit card and a laptop. Not a single one has been provided. My parents r trying to arrange a meeting to sort it out, but the school is refusing. I have no idea what to do.
Reply 1
oh we had all that with our daughter. i wish you better luck than we had. college would be easier for you.
These diagnoses mean you would be disabled as defined by the equality act 2010. Thus the adjustment would be a must-do unless they could show them to be unreasonable which seems unlikely.You should refer the school to this document which is guidance as school duties. Failure to meet its expectations is likely to be discrimination.the action you describe is likely to discriminate as the duty is directly on the school.
https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/publication-download/technical-guidance-schools-england
Reply 3
Original post by petertyerman
These diagnoses mean you would be disabled as defined by the equality act 2010. Thus the adjustment would be a must-do unless they could show them to be unreasonable which seems unlikely.You should refer the school to this document which is guidance as school duties. Failure to meet its expectations is likely to be discrimination.the action you describe is likely to discriminate as the duty is directly on the school.
https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/publication-download/technical-guidance-schools-england

you need to meet the tricks delays stalls they do. to start with the ops nhs docs dont count. they insist on there own. oh theres ayears wait forthis or that. i hope jammi gets the help they clearly need but i would not be holding my breath.
Reply 4
Original post by petertyerman

Thank you, I didn't realise it was like that. I will bring it to their attention.
Reply 5
Original post by paub
oh we had all that with our daughter. i wish you better luck than we had. college would be easier for you.

Original post by paub
you need to meet the tricks delays stalls they do. to start with the ops nhs docs dont count. they insist on there own. oh theres ayears wait forthis or that. i hope jammi gets the help they clearly need but i would not be holding my breath.

Thankyou for the notice, at this point I wouldnt be supprised if it took years. I've been in the diagnostic process for years already. It's sad to hear it happened to your daughter too, I hope it's better now?

Quick Reply

Latest