Thing1sMum
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi I have secured a place at Uni to study Psychology with counselling. Before I applied I rang SFE to see if I qualified for full student loan as I already hold a DipHE in nursing. They said yes as it wasn't the same or lower to the course I was applying for. However, just to double check before I submitted my student finance application I sent a msg to SFE via Facebook and they say that I will have to self fund the first year as I will only get two years of loan. Otherwise I can study Psychology part time as it's exempt from the rules on a part time basis. Does anyone have experience of this? Would the uni let me study part time for this reason? It's listed as a full time course and is at Sunderland Uni
SFE Dean
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Thing1sMum)
Hi I have secured a place at Uni to study Psychology with counselling. Before I applied I rang SFE to see if I qualified for full student loan as I already hold a DipHE in nursing. They said yes as it wasn't the same or lower to the course I was applying for. However, just to double check before I submitted my student finance application I sent a msg to SFE via Facebook and they say that I will have to self fund the first year as I will only get two years of loan. Otherwise I can study Psychology part time as it's exempt from the rules on a part time basis. Does anyone have experience of this? Would the uni let me study part time for this reason? It's listed as a full time course and is at Sunderland Uni
Hi,

How many years have you spent in higher education so far?

Can you please provide a link to the course you want to study?

Regards, Dean.
Thing1sMum
Rep:
?
(Original post by SFE Dean)
Hi,

How many years have you spent in higher education so far?

Can you please provide a link to the course you want to study?

Regards, Dean.
Hi Dean, thanks for replying. After a 3rd call to SFE it seems full time is definitely not an option for me as it was a 3 year course I studied. Psychology still is an option but only as a part time course and only if it is listed as part time. I couldn't enrol on a full time course then study part time hours. It seems complicated! However Sunderland Uni are looking into it, and there's a possible loophole in that they offer a Customised Awards Scheme where you essentially build your own degree and it is listed as full and part time option. If they can essentially build me a Psychology degree part time under this scheme, and if all the sun moon and stars align haha then there's a possibility I can still study for a psychology degree. Fingers crossed, if I'm meant to study it there will be a way somehow.
The other option is OU but it would only be if I could get tuition fee loan for that, as not sure distance learning qualifies under the
exemption rules for part time psychology
SFE Dean
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi Dean, thanks for replying. After a 3rd call to SFE it seems full time is definitely not an option for me as it was a 3 year course I studied. Psychology still is an option but only as a part time course and only if it is listed as part time. I couldn't enrol on a full time course then study part time hours. It seems complicated! However Sunderland Uni are looking into it, and there's a possible loophole in that they offer a Customised Awards Scheme where you essentially build your own degree and it is listed as full and part time option. If they can essentially build me a Psychology degree part time under this scheme, and if all the sun moon and stars align haha then there's a possibility I can still study for a psychology degree. Fingers crossed, if I'm meant to study it there will be a way somehow.
The other option is OU but it would only be if I could get tuition fee loan for that, as not sure distance learning qualifies under the
exemption rules for part time psychology
Hi,

Thanks for letting us know.

OU courses do qualify under the exemption rules as they're still classed as a part time applications.

We do have part time qualifying Psychology courses on our course database.

Regards, Dean.
Thing1sMum
Rep:
?
(Original post by SFE Dean)
Hi,

Thanks for letting us know.

OU courses do qualify under the exemption rules as they're still classed as a part time applications.

We do have part time qualifying Psychology courses on our course database.

Regards, Dean.
Thanks Dean that's really helpful. There is hope! I am a single parent so I have to stay in Tyne and Wear. Can you tell me how to access the database? I'm new to Student Rooms
SFE Aaron
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Thanks Dean that's really helpful. There is hope! I am a single parent so I have to stay in Tyne and Wear. Can you tell me how to access the database? I'm new to Student Rooms
Hi, the course database isn’t something you will be able to have access to unfortunately, this is something that allows us to link the courses from the university to the application. Thanks, Aaron.
Thing1sMum
Rep:
?
(Original post by SFE Aaron)
Hi, the course database isn’t something you will be able to have access to unfortunately, this is something that allows us to link the courses from the university to the application. Thanks, Aaron.
Ok thanks Aaron
SFE Aaron
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Ok thanks Aaron
You’re welcome!
Thing1sMum
Rep:
?
Actually, would you be able to check on the database if Sunderland Uni Customised Awards Scheme degree ( it's listed as part time and full time) would count if all the modules were psychology? Or is that something the uni would have to discuss in more depth with SFE?
SFE Aaron
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Actually, would you be able to check on the database if Sunderland Uni Customised Awards Scheme degree ( it's listed as part time and full time) would count if all the modules were psychology? Or is that something the uni would have to discuss in more depth with SFE?
Hi, I have looked into the course you have provided and there is only a full-time version on our database and this will not be classed as an exception. Thanks, Aaron.
Thing1sMum
Rep:
?
Can you tell me if there's a qualifying course on the database in or around Tyne and Wear?
SFE Aaron
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Can you tell me if there's a qualifying course on the database in or around Tyne and Wear?
Hi, we wouldn’t be able to search this generally and will need specific course details, for us to be able to check this for you. Thanks, Aaron.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads