The Student Room Group

Good Universities for History?

Hiya, I want to do a history degree at university. Maybe a history and Philosophy degree. I was wondering if there would be any recommended ones.

Obviously university is about more than just studying, I live in Southsea (Hampshire) and it would be preferable to go to one relatively close. At the moment I'm looking at Chichester, Portsmouth, Winchester, King's college London and Sussex. Any experience with those would be helpful to know.

For some context, at the moment I'm in year 12 and am studying A Level History, Politics and BTEC applied law and will be doing an EPQ next year.
Original post by thatcollegegirl
Hiya, I want to do a history degree at university. Maybe a history and Philosophy degree. I was wondering if there would be any recommended ones.

Obviously university is about more than just studying, I live in Southsea (Hampshire) and it would be preferable to go to one relatively close. At the moment I'm looking at Chichester, Portsmouth, Winchester, King's college London and Sussex. Any experience with those would be helpful to know.

For some context, at the moment I'm in year 12 and am studying A Level History, Politics and BTEC applied law and will be doing an EPQ next year.

You need to give a bit of detail on your likely grades, there is going to be a big difference between what Kings and Chichester will expect and that is going to influence how useful that advice is going to be. Also what do you want to do after that degree ?

Hi @thatcollegegirl, we have the option of History or History and Philosophy degrees that may interest you! At Chichester, the lecturers have an open door policy and genuinely know you for you, this means they're able to adapt their teaching to suit how you learn and give you extra support when you need it most. We are also surrounded by History on our campuses, one of our buildings has been here since we originated in 1839 and we were one of the leading institutions in the UK to train female teachers in the 19 century!

If there is anything you'd like to know specifically, or if you'd like to speak to one of our students, we are more than happy to help!
Original post by Mr Wednesday
You need to give a bit of detail on your likely grades, there is going to be a big difference between what Kings and Chichester will expect and that is going to influence how useful that advice is going to be. Also what do you want to do after that degree ?

That's a good point. We haven't done any proper mocks for History and Politics yet but in my last essays I got As.

After my degree I'd like to either be an archivist or a historical researcher
Original post by University of Chichester
Hi @thatcollegegirl, we have the option of History or History and Philosophy degrees that may interest you! At Chichester, the lecturers have an open door policy and genuinely know you for you, this means they're able to adapt their teaching to suit how you learn and give you extra support when you need it most. We are also surrounded by History on our campuses, one of our buildings has been here since we originated in 1839 and we were one of the leading institutions in the UK to train female teachers in the 19 century!

If there is anything you'd like to know specifically, or if you'd like to speak to one of our students, we are more than happy to help!

That would actually be fantastic to know more as at the moment (March of year 12) chichester is my top choice. I've visited 3 times now. The last time was February 10th when Lady Hale gave a lecture in the law department. I loved the campus and the atmosphere as well has how the course for history is structured; I spoke to some students who were there taking history. Next time there's an open day I'd love to come as it's only a train ride away from me. The part I liked about the campus is that it seemed 'all in one place' so a good place for my mindset as well as the semi-rural atmosphere.
That would actually be fantastic to know more as at the moment (March of year 12) chichester is my top choice. I've visited 3 times now. The last time was February 10th when Lady Hale gave a lecture in the law department. I loved the campus and the atmosphere as well has how the course for history is structured; I spoke to some students who were there taking history. Next time there's an open day I'd love to come as it's only a train ride away from me. The part I liked about the campus is that it seemed 'all in one place' so a good place for my mindset as well as the semi-rural atmosphere.

Amazing! Have you got any questions that you'd like us to ask our History students?

Our next Open Day is on 27 June, if you email [email protected] we'll send you a reminder of when you can book on! :smile:
Original post by University of Chichester
Amazing! Have you got any questions that you'd like us to ask our History students?

Our next Open Day is on 27 June, if you email [email protected] we'll send you a reminder of when you can book on! :smile:

I'll think of some and book on for the open day for sure! 😊
Hi @thatcollegegirl,

I am not sure about the universities in your list but I am a current PhD History Student at the University of Hull and completed both my Undergraduate and Masters degree's in History at Hull also.

Going off of my experience (as a history student) from first applying through to where I am today, here are some suggestions/ things to consider:

I would suggest considering what types of history you are interested in studying and write these down in a list.

I would then consider module choices and whether these match up to your interests as well as if there are some modules listed which perhaps catch your eye and you consider something which you would potentially consider studying.

consider the wider opportunities which potentially would be available to you alongside your studies which could further benefit your future career.

Make sure you visit the universities because that can sway your decisions.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Details for Hull can be found here - https://www.hull.ac.uk/faculties/subjects/history

Best wishes,
Emily

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending