The Student Room Group

Is it possible for me to transfer into Year 2 in a different college?

I take Level 3 Business Studies Year 1 by the way

Here’s why I’m leaving that college…

My first year of college has been horrible because of the particular college I go to, my teachers are horrible they don’t give us proper teaching but expect us to get their units done in the click of a finger when we literally have 3 other units to complete along with theirs which makes it 4 units for us to complete. I started the College in September by the time it was November a total of 5 teachers had left, then another teacher had come to replace one of the teachers who had left, it was going swiftly- well we thought it was. By the time it got to December the class got to college expecting a lesson then the two teachers who are basically our only two teachers left announced that he had QUIT previous days before, so lesson was cancelled. That lesson had been getting cancelled for 2 weeks, trust me I wish I was being exaggerative, for a matter of 2 weeks we were coming into college to fend for ourselves and work on our coursework in the library alone. The December half term, after those 2 weeks we got back to college hearing the same things as the previous term. The only teacher who had been helping us was on a sick leave which is understandable because health is over everything BUT she didn’t come back until last week, imagine that, my college is a joke!!!

It just gets worse the course is finishing in 4 weeks aswell we are expected to finish all that work from September in 1 month, I will be able to get into 2nd year of the course because I didn’t count on the teachers to spoon feed me but I am definitely NOT staying at that college for my 2nd year of college it is a mess.
I hope it is possible for me to leave because I heard it is hard for Level 3’s to transfer into a different college.
(edited 4 years ago)
It’s potentially possible if the course is the same / very similar but if you’ve not got good grades from year 1 (your fault or not) you’ll definitely struggle going onto level 3 again - it doesn’t look good when you try and blame somebody else (you can try and get a teacher from your college to give you a reference of your ability and character which would help) even if it wasn’t your fault.

I swapped from one course in year 1 to a different course in year two but this was at the same college so It might not work the same - the only reason they let me change straight onto second year was because the courses were so similar and I had good grades from first year.

Your situation sucks but you have a decent chance especially if you can get someone (college teacher preferably) to give you a reference.
One word of advice though although you do still need to be taught the curriculum by someone, college is very different from school and most teachers will largely leave it to you to get stuff done.

They should obviously teach you the subject and help you when needed but don’t expect them to do it to a level they do at secondary because it just doesn’t happen, they expect you to be able to do your own research and manage units yourself, in turn you should get treated more like adults.

(Not saying your situation sounds justified, you’re clearly disadvantaged just don’t expect to be taught everything)
I was in the same situation but instead, I just chose to do A levels (just maybe the course isn't for you) but I don't think they'll accept you unless you get a decent grade on your UCAS exams.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending