Prema Prabhu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi there im wondering if I could get taught how to drive a automatic car in 2 lessons i already have a manual license I just need to know how to get used driving an automatic I roughly know what im doin I just need some help.
Thanks
Prema
Mapleservers
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes. Automatic is the same but without the use of the gearbox
Joshkav
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Prema Prabhu)
Hi there im wondering if I could get taught how to drive a automatic car in 2 lessons i already have a manual license I just need to know how to get used driving an automatic I roughly know what im doin I just need some help.
Thanks
Prema
Shouldn't be a problem, automatic is very easy compared to manual; 2 pedals, 1 to go, 1 to stop, simple. I personally would see the need for lessons, but it's up to you
nevershear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Mate I know what you mean, I can "drive" them but it feels awkward and weird; I legit struggled with cornering when I testdrove a Megane RS because my foot kept punching the place a clutch pedal would normally be so I could gear down and it wasn't in the slightest bit comfortable lol; I was focusing more on remembering I didn't have a gearbox or manual clutch and not enough on actually driving and even trying to enjoy the car.

Same way you learned how to drive a manual, get hold of an instructor (or driving school) - tell them you're a full license holder and would like a couple of lessons on an automatic for comfort and you'll get sorted out.

Had to edit this in case we got a stickler, since I said "remembering I didn't have a clutch" when well, I did, it's just I didn't have control over it lmao.
Last edited by nevershear; 2 weeks ago
StriderHort
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I got a 5 mins rough explanation by the roadside , I was happy enough with how it worked when I got home 30 odd mins later. As nevershear said above the only niggle i had is forgetting you don't have full control of the clutch. But if anything I find it worse the other way around, when I drive a manual now and go to press the brake I get surprised by the car lurching forward because i've just taken the engine braking away :rolleyes:

Personally I love driving automatic now, just seems to remove so much needless work, but still happy I learned manual and get some exp with it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (103)
60.95%
No (66)
39.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed