The Student Room Group

tips for studying

I've recently been diagnosed with dyslexia and realised I have no idea how to actually study. I struggle with staying on task and recalling what I've read. I needs tips for university study as its so much different to school.
Original post by svuke
I've recently been diagnosed with dyslexia and realised I have no idea how to actually study. I struggle with staying on task and recalling what I've read. I needs tips for university study as its so much different to school.

Hey @svuke :smile:

I too am dyslexic and found revising difficult also. You need to figure out what kind of learner you are by trying a few methods. Are you a visual, auditory, kinesthetic or read and writing kind of learner? Look into activities you can do for all of these and see what suits you best.

Personally, I would read over my notes, re-write them and condense them and then pretend to teach it (so talk it out loud as if you are teaching somebody else).

You may also want to study SMART Not Long. It's much easier to implement a regular and successful study schedule if you are studying SMART.

o Set yourself goals.
o Make study techniques that promote greater results.
o Ask for help.
o Reward yourself for progress.
o Take a Break. :tongue:

S: Set yourself goals for study. For example, make up an exam/essay question and work towards answering it.
M: Remember VARK. Are you a Visual learner, Audio learner, Reading learner or Kinetic learner. Use study techniques that will promote the best learning for yourself.
A: If you are struggling with anything ask your teacher for help. Their job is to help you with your studies. Alternatively, use study guides or the internet to help breakdown tough subjects.
R: When you hit your goals, complete work and meet important deadlines reward yourself with treats. For example, make watching an episode of your favourite show your reward for completing tasks.
T: When you’ve finished studying take breaks. Go for a walk, hang with friends or get a cup of tea and watch TV. It’s important not to overdo revising. :pepsi:

I hope you find this helpful and If I can help again at all, please let me know.

Ashley :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest