Westminster vs Royal Holloway for Film Production

Watch
eharriett
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I have managed to get an offer from both Westminster and Royal Holloway for Film which is amazing. The trouble is now I can’t decide which to go to. Any advice on which one I should pick?
CraisyMacobs
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi! I'm a second year film student at the University of Westminster and I absolutely love it. The tutors are great here. I have found them super supportive and inspirational. The theory side of the course has opened up my mind to think about films in ways I hadn't before and I really doubt lecturers at other universities are as dedicated and passionate. One thing that drew me to this course was the ability to shoot on film frequently throughout your time here from first year. It gave me a whole new approach to the filmmaking discipline especially as it's still so prevalent in industry - it sets us apart as graduates. Another good thing is the ratio of amazing equipment to students. Some courses have similar cameras etc but way more students and so you never see them. When I was looking at university I soon stopped considering film courses outside of London (even though Egham is not far) because of the obvious benefits of being at the centre of the industry. This has proved even more useful than imagined since studying here particularly for things like getting professional and experienced actors to act in our films as many are based in London and so don't mind signing up for a local student film. Actors are often impressed by our professional studio space and green room facilities etc. I was also really nervous about the type of people who I would meet at uni but I have made so many close friends and really enjoy life here.The course here is also probably the most highly regarded course in the UK and this goes a long way when calling in favours with professional companies as you make your films and also stands you in good stead as you start work. You also start networking throughout your time on the course so trying to get a job afterwards really doesn't feel intimidating.This sounds like a big long rant haha but I honestly wouldn't want to be anywhere else and couldn't recommend the course enough.
eharriett
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by CraisyMacobs)
Hi! I'm a second year film student at the University of Westminster and I absolutely love it. The tutors are great here. I have found them super supportive and inspirational. The theory side of the course has opened up my mind to think about films in ways I hadn't before and I really doubt lecturers at other universities are as dedicated and passionate. One thing that drew me to this course was the ability to shoot on film frequently throughout your time here from first year. It gave me a whole new approach to the filmmaking discipline especially as it's still so prevalent in industry - it sets us apart as graduates. Another good thing is the ratio of amazing equipment to students. Some courses have similar cameras etc but way more students and so you never see them. When I was looking at university I soon stopped considering film courses outside of London (even though Egham is not far) because of the obvious benefits of being at the centre of the industry. This has proved even more useful than imagined since studying here particularly for things like getting professional and experienced actors to act in our films as many are based in London and so don't mind signing up for a local student film. Actors are often impressed by our professional studio space and green room facilities etc. I was also really nervous about the type of people who I would meet at uni but I have made so many close friends and really enjoy life here.The course here is also probably the most highly regarded course in the UK and this goes a long way when calling in favours with professional companies as you make your films and also stands you in good stead as you start work. You also start networking throughout your time on the course so trying to get a job afterwards really doesn't feel intimidating.This sounds like a big long rant haha but I honestly wouldn't want to be anywhere else and couldn't recommend the course enough.
Thank you this really helped and I have now put Westminster as my Firm choice
ishathorat
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by CraisyMacobs)
Hi! I was curious about Westminster and this helps me a lot too. Thank you!
I was wondering what percentage of the course focuses on screenwriting/stories and such. How are the writing classes/tutors?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (89)
52.66%
No, they should still go ahead (34)
20.12%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (46)
27.22%

Watched Threads