The Student Room Group

Coronavirus & IAL/IGCSE Summer Exams

Most of the affected countries have already banned public gatherings due to Coronavirus threats.

But the exam boards are not yet thinking of postponing upcoming
IAL/IGCSE Exams.

Can we construe that public gatherings are not created in exam centers?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joybangla
Most of the affected countries have already banned public gatherings due to Coronavirus threats.

IAL/IGCSE Exams.

I dont believe its a public gathering, but a private one.
Rather than play with words the authorities will be aware of school and exams, which many students wish to take and have studied many years for.
They wouldnt want to cancel them unless they felt the benefit outweighed the risk. It will be a last resort.
Carry on revising with the expectation they will go ahead. If they are delayed you will have lost nothing.
My daughters school has advised that if exams can’t go ahead students will be awarded predicted grades as final
Reply 3
Original post by 5thchild
My daughters school has advised that if exams can’t go ahead students will be awarded predicted grades as final

Which year of study is this regarding?
Original post by Nuttyy
Which year of study is this regarding?

Her A levels in May/June year 13

IAL/IGCSE Exams.

i doubt that anything will happen it's the students doing A-levels in England who really need to worry the most (and non-IGCSE GCSE students) as all of their exams are done in May and June
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
I dont believe its a public gathering, but a private one.
Rather than play with words the authorities will be aware of school and exams, which many students wish to take and have studied many years for.
They wouldnt want to cancel them unless they felt the benefit outweighed the risk. It will be a last resort.
Carry on revising with the expectation they will go ahead. If they are delayed you will have lost nothing.

Where do you live?

I took several exams in both India & Bangladesh, and believe me, mass gatherings are created outside the IAL/IGCSE exam centers. The scenario is no less than public exams. Large flocks of candidates wait outside centers for long hours, and most are accompanied by SEVERAL family members. There is usually one common exam center, where pupils from over 50 schools might take their exams. Centers in these places are not very spacious, and hundreds (often thousands) of students stand in long serried queues to get through.

As the number of infected people are rising in South Asia, trust me the situation is very very scary. I know people who are revising at home, at not attending crucial classes. Only God knows what will happen.
Where do you live?

I took several exams in both India & Bangladesh, and believe me, mass gatherings are created outside the IAL/IGCSE exam centers. The scenario is no less than public exams. Large flocks of candidates wait outside centers for long hours, and most are accompanied by SEVERAL family members. There is usually one common exam center, where pupils from over 50 schools might take their exams. Centers in these places are not very spacious, and hundreds (often thousands) of students stand in long serried queues to get through.

As the number of infected people are rising in South Asia, trust me the situation is very very scary. I know people who are revising at home, at not attending crucial classes. Only God knows what will happen.

I think you missed my point.
Can you explain what it is you want?
Reply 8
Her A levels in May/June year 13

That's crazy to hear, especially considering most schools/colleges give predicted grades disproportionate to a student's true potential, Eg, I was predicted all Bs and Cs at GCSE, I got all As n A*s.

I was also initially predicted a C in A level maths, but I had to argue with my teacher to raise it to an A (which I ended up getting) as I wouldn't be able to apply to uni otherwise.
Original post by Nuttyy
That's crazy to hear, especially considering most schools/colleges give predicted grades disproportionate to a student's true potential, Eg, I was predicted all Bs and Cs at GCSE, I got all As n A*s.

I was also initially predicted a C in A level maths, but I had to argue with my teacher to raise it to an A (which I ended up getting) as I wouldn't be able to apply to uni otherwise.

I totally agree and would be very disappointed if that happened. My daughter is working beyond her predicted grades and i know lots of students who have urged teachers to inflate their grades to apply for uni
What a nightmare. Schools closing and exams cancelled 😳😢
Reply 12
What a nightmare. Schools closing and exams cancelled 😳😢

Then how will they calculate the grades ?
That is to be discussed
Reply 14
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-51939591

No exams this year, UK education secretary says:

This year's exams will not go ahead, Gavin Williamson says.

The spike of the virus is increasing at a faster pace than anticipated, he says, and taking these measures "will save people's lives".

PM: Pupils will get qualifications:

Mr Johnson says he will ensure children due to sit crucial exams will get the qualifications they need.

Though he adds that, at this stage, he cannot go into detail about how that might happen.

COVID-19 isn't a pandemic just exclusive to the UK. A' Levels & GCSEs cancelled.

NO DECISIONS YET for IALs & IGCSEs. We have already completed our exam registrations. They want international kiddos to face extinction?

Mr Johnson says ... children ...will get the qualifications they need [somehow].

Did he mean predicted grades?

If yes, THAT OPTION MUST BE AVAILABLE FOR IAL & IGCSE PUPILS AS WELL.

Prejudicial treatment is not welcomed since the countries are suffering together.
Reply 15
If predicted grades are given to IAL candidates, they could at least have their year saved.
Reply 16
Feels like the world revolves around white people (I'm sorry if that sounds offensive). The education minister just announced that gcses and A-level have been canelled but not IGCSE AND IAL. I live in a 3rd world country and it's already worse here and we are not capable of containing this virus yet there is no news for us! We'll have to appear for exams anyhow!
I feel it may be difficult to give everyone predicted grades as universities depend on people not meeting the grade requirements to make sure they don't surpass their capacity - as in more offers are given than places.
what about private candidates? I have registered for IAL A2 units for chemistry and physics so how am i gonna get a predicted grade?

Quick Reply

Latest