?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Is geography a good A level ?
Senaywilkinson
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I done Geography a level and It was okay there’s a lot of content to it (just like GCSE but on steroids) but overall if you’ve got a good memory and can easily remember facts, which I don’t have at all, then it’s actually not too bad. It’s classed as a science a level too so useful when university courses ask for 2 science based a levels etc. I thought it was a bit boring sometimes and honestly don’t think I would of chose it if I didn’t want to do something geography based, but even if I could go back and chose something instead of it I don’t think I would of as all a levels are hard and have a lot of content. So overall if you really enjoyed it at GCSE and done well then I say go for it
ArtmisKco
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Ok so this is my experience. I do it and hate it. I loved it at gcse but despise it at alevel. It isn’t taught well and is very very dull. I suggest you to look at past papers of alevel geography and for you to look at the spec and ask other people who’ve done it. But it also depends on your colleges geography department. Mine isn’t great. I don’t want to put you off so make sure you do your research, but if I could repick my alevels I wouldn’t pick geography at all. I wouldn’t recommend it unless you need it at uni. Good luck!!
Deggs_14
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
It’s well respected, but it tests a lot of different skill sets, including essay writing, maths and statistics, time management, coursework, remembering lots of content, synoptic links and much more so it’s very demanding. The 20% non examined assessment coursework is also a large disadvantage in my opinion as it’s very hard t get top marks in and really difficult and quite abstract. I like it’s relevancy to the world today and how I can remember lots of random facts though. But I think you’d enjoy or find other a levels a better choice.

Overall more no than yes, especially if you learn about deserts or glaciers in physical geo it’s non-relatable with lots of technical terms and is difficult to remember. And teachers definitely play a massive role as well. If they’re actually good and teach you the content or lazy and set you too many **** group projects etc lol
Last edited by Deggs_14; 10 months ago
Senaywilkinson
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I completely agree, sometimes the content can be very dull so it’s really important you like your teachers and their not boring. For me I had 2 teachers for geography one had been my geography teacher since year 9 and the other was my form tutor since year 7 so I absolutely loved my teachers but the teachers play a massive part. I know if I didn’t get on well with mine I would of absolutely hated it!
Deggs_14
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Oh and also the highest marks and teachers always tell you “examiners like case studies not in the textbook” which is just stupid in my opinion like why learn all these case studies when teachers wha you to learn more of your own ones just to “impress examiners”. 🤷🏻*♂️
Senaywilkinson
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Deggs_14)
Oh and also the highest marks and teachers always tell you “examiners like case studies not in the textbook” which is just stupid in my opinion like why learn all these case studies when teachers wha you to learn more of your own ones just to “impress examiners”. 🤷🏻*♂️
I felt this on another level omg!!! Even more content my brain couldn’t handle. A levels are so hard.
ArtmisKco
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Omg precisely. My teacher says that to get an A you have to know case studies outside of class like why??! Psychology students don’t need to do that. But I think it’s completely bogus. A girl who is amazing at essay writing due to doing history gets A*s in geography all the time
University of Huddersfield Student Rep
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Lilysmithxoxo)
Is geography a good A level ?
Hi Lilysmithxoxo,

From my experience, Geography has introduced me to a wide range of skills which I otherwise wouldn’t have been exposed to in my other A Level (Biology and Business).

As highlighted in the thread, there will be topics which may not seem relevant to you; however, don’t let this put you off. One of the critical skills in geography is linking together content from different topics- known as synoptic links. From experience, in essays, I have begun writing about climate change (Physical) then discussing the impact globalisation has on the environment (Human).

This is the main reason why I enjoy studying geography and why I took the decision to study it at degree level.

Do you enjoy studying GCSE geography and is it something which interests you?

Another factor which was mentioned in the thread was the non-examined assessment (coursework) which can be quite challenging for some. However, it will give you a flavour of report writing for either university or the workplace. I found it an invaluable experience, and it has helped me with my current studies.

Do you have any specific concerns or questions about A Level Geography?

If you have any further question, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Best Wishes,

Sam Townsend |Bsc(Hons) Geography Student at The University Of Huddersfield
Last edited by University of Huddersfield Student Rep; 8 months ago
Lilysmithxoxo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by University of Huddersfield Student Rep)
Hi Lilysmithxoxo,

From my experience, Geography has introduced me to a wide range of skills which I otherwise wouldn’t have been exposed to in my other A Level (Biology and Business).

As highlighted in the thread, there will be topics which may not seem relevant to you; however, don’t let this put you off. One of the critical skills in geography is linking together content from different topics- known as synoptic links. From experience, in essays, I have begun writing about climate change (Physical) then discussing the impact globalisation has on the environment (Human).

This is the main reason why I enjoy studying geography and why I took the decision to study it at degree level.

Do you enjoy studying GCSE geography and is it something which interests you?

Another factor which was mentioned in the thread was the non-examined assessment (coursework) which can be quite challenging for some. However, it will give you a flavour of report writing for either university or the workplace. I found it an invaluable experience, and it has helped me with my current studies.

Do you have any specific concerns or questions about A Level Geography?

If you have any further question, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Best Wishes,

Sam Townsend |Bsc(Hons) Geography Student at The University Of Huddersfield
Hi,
Thank you for your help.

I have a sister who’s very opinionated and says she that people who take geography at uni aren’t the smartest and it’s a very easy degree (not that any degree is easy but in comparison to others). Obviously I doubt that’s the case at all but I was just wondering from your perspective what you think about degree level geography and also if you think it leads to a good career later on.
My sister think geography, and most other subjects are pointless as they don’t lead to anything which is funny as she’s doing a history degree, and I’d imagine geography opens up more doors than history.
mads13
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Lilysmithxoxo)
Hi,
Thank you for your help.

I have a sister who’s very opinionated and says she that people who take geography at uni aren’t the smartest and it’s a very easy degree (not that any degree is easy but in comparison to others). Obviously I doubt that’s the case at all but I was just wondering from your perspective what you think about degree level geography and also if you think it leads to a good career later on.
My sister think geography, and most other subjects are pointless as they don’t lead to anything which is funny as she’s doing a history degree, and I’d imagine geography opens up more doors than history.
A geography degree is hugely applicable to a number of careers, teaching skills like GIS, statistical analysis etc that are really employable. It's a degree that will lead to geography specific jobs, and more general jobs as well, so doesn't close any doors to future career possibilities.

I personally loved a level geography. I think as long as you enjoy it at GCSE, and know your teachers will be good (an important factor in any subject) then go for it! As others have stated it also feeds into a lot of other a levels which is really useful, I took it with politics and biology, and there is a lot of crossover to both of them.
etienne26
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I loved it at GCSE and A level, but it could depend on your geography department. Our department was the best in my school so it was high quality teaching.
Zoe Skinner
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I personally loved and hated geography A level (going on to study Geog at uni). Loved because there were some great modules and things I realised I was interested in like geopolitics, hated because it was the first year of that spec and so it was taught kind of messily. I've also always found the style of the exam questions incredibly abstract and broad which under the time pressure of exams was hard for me. The coursework wasn't great either but I did love it just needed to give it ALOT of attention
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (23)
13.61%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (48)
28.4%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (69)
40.83%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (24)
14.2%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.96%

Watched Threads