How do i regain the motivation to try?

Watch
bangout_a103
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I feel as though recently my school has put my year under alot of pressure with loads of mocks and homework to try and prepare us for GCSEs, but all its done is tire us out, and made me lose motivation to keep working hard. I managed to fail an interview for the one sixthform i really want to go to so no there is nothing to look forward to, especially with the coronavirus now being a problem and our gcses possibly being delayed, how can i try to regain my motivation to work hard when my future is looking so bleak?
username4949304
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
congrats on the sixthform interview focus on the subjects you want to take for alevels, make a list of the other subjects and decide how much revision youd like to do per week for each of them

for case study type subjects why not make notes/ take pictures on your phone so you can always glance at them or just read them aloud?

do you take breaks? maybe allocate one afternoon to do something fun or go for a walk, change your study settings maybe

the gcse holidays are superrr long so work hard and you will really enjoy them!!!!!

what do you want to see on results day? what do you think you'll see? do you want to change those grades?

every little helps so try and do *something* everyday and you'll be fine
Last edited by username4949304; 7 months ago
username4949304
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
it's still gonna be a long holiday and besides if exams get pushed back there's more time to revise
bangout_a103
Rep:
?
(Original post by antibody123)
it's still gonna be a long holiday and besides if exams get pushed back there's more time to revise
but then theres less of a reward for all the hard work
thank you for having such a positive outlook though. I will try to adopt that mindset
username4949304
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by bangout_a103)
but then theres less of a reward for all the hard work
thank you for having such a positive outlook though. I will try to adopt that mindset
try and focus really really hard for 30 minutes keep testing yourself, write + rewrite and you'll see how nice it is to have a 10 minutes break of doing nothing :lol:

weather is improving, maybe revise in the garden, walk and talk?

also, when was the last time you've gone for a run? if your school makes you do PE just have fun in those lessons and you'll work better at home
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
It is very unlikely that exams will be delayed, although there is still a chance - more people still die of Flu each year than of Covid-19... the scary thing is that we don't have a recognised cure yet, really... but yeah, exams probably won't be delayed.

Anyways, I completely understand how you feel - I felt the same way a few weeks ago. Firstly, though, if you haven't heard back from your sixthform, don't assume that you've failed like I did with my uni interview - everyone thinks they've failed and are more often than not wrong but if you have heard back, remember that your results can disprove them, and can get you into the uni or apprenticeship of your choice after sixthform.
Advice:
- Take a few days off to rest and regain impetus
- Plan your revision so that you know what you're doing in each session, so that each session is given purpose and something specific you need to learn.
- Remember that it's ok to be tired and that you should listen to your body and find a revision schedule that works for you.
- Plan breaks as well as revision - active relaxation is when you give yourself time specifically to do what you want, rather than it being a break between revisio sessions. Your brain cannot take in all the info without enough sleep and relaxation and general time to spend on yourself, so don't consider it a waste.

You can do it, you're so close - just imagine how you want to feel on results day.
bangout_a103
Rep:
?
(Original post by redmeercat)
It is very unlikely that exams will be delayed, although there is still a chance - more people still die of Flu each year than of Covid-19... the scary thing is that we don't have a recognised cure yet, really... but yeah, exams probably won't be delayed.

Anyways, I completely understand how you feel - I felt the same way a few weeks ago. Firstly, though, if you haven't heard back from your sixthform, don't assume that you've failed like I did with my uni interview - everyone thinks they've failed and are more often than not wrong but if you have heard back, remember that your results can disprove them, and can get you into the uni or apprenticeship of your choice after sixthform.
Advice:
- Take a few days off to rest and regain impetus
- Plan your revision so that you know what you're doing in each session, so that each session is given purpose and something specific you need to learn.
- Remember that it's ok to be tired and that you should listen to your body and find a revision schedule that works for you.
- Plan breaks as well as revision - active relaxation is when you give yourself time specifically to do what you want, rather than it being a break between revisio sessions. Your brain cannot take in all the info without enough sleep and relaxation and general time to spend on yourself, so don't consider it a waste.

You can do it, you're so close - just imagine how you want to feel on results day.
Thank you so much. Thats the first time advice has made sense . but yeah okay i will try!
bangout_a103
Rep:
?
(Original post by antibody123)
try and focus really really hard for 30 minutes keep testing yourself, write + rewrite and you'll see how nice it is to have a 10 minutes break of doing nothing :lol:

weather is improving, maybe revise in the garden, walk and talk?

also, when was the last time you've gone for a run? if your school makes you do PE just have fun in those lessons and you'll work better at home
okay thank you so much
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by bangout_a103)
Thank you so much. Thats the first time advice has made sense . but yeah okay i will try!
Thats ok, I hope things improve. If you need any subject specific revision tips, feel free to ask
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (166)
14.57%
I'm not sure (52)
4.57%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (335)
29.41%
I have already dropped out (34)
2.99%
I'm not a current university student (552)
48.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise