Will I get excess skin.

Watch
Onisparks
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Im a female, 5"11 and im currently trying to lose weight. Im on the basketball team, we practice 3 times a week so 4.5hrs, mostly cardio (started this in September) and I've started going to the gym to lift weights for about and hour and half twice a week (I started this week 😅) . I've also cut out carbs.
One of my biggest fears is getting excess skin since my starting weight was 110kg. I haven't weighed myself in 4 months since I don't have a scale at Uni but last time I checked I was 101 kg. Will I get excess skin and is there anything else I can do to prevent it? Also where can I order good sports bras from?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Onisparks)
Im a female, 5"11 and im currently trying to lose weight. Im on the basketball team, we practice 3 times a week so 4.5hrs, mostly cardio (started this in September) and I've started going to the gym to lift weights for about and hour and half twice a week (I started this week 😅) . I've also cut out carbs.
One of my biggest fears is getting excess skin since my starting weight was 110kg. I haven't weighed myself in 4 months since I don't have a scale at Uni but last time I checked I was 101 kg. Will I get excess skin and is there anything else I can do to prevent it? Also where can I order good sports bras from?
The better place to talk about this are the MFP forums plus get some buddies. It is a common issue and oft discussed. In general if you are young then your skin is quite elastic and will adjust as long as weight loss isnt too rapid. You should also keep up the weights to try and maintain or build the underlying muscle so a greater % of what you lose is fat.

This is quite a good overview.

https://vitals.lifehacker.com/how-to...oss-1696145766
H_Ax123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I am in the same position as you. Currently at 88kg and worried about excess skin. But from all the sites and forums Ive read, many say it usually affects older people who’s skin has lost its elasticity. If you are in your 20s you should hopefully be okay. Please ensure that you have balanced meals and arent trying to lose weight too rapidly - this can definitely have a negative affect on your body and can be easy to put weight back on. Also, try and get some weights training in - apparently this helps
Onisparks
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
The better place to talk about this are the MFP forums plus get some buddies. It is a common issue and oft discussed. In general if you are young then your skin is quite elastic and will adjust as long as weight loss isnt too rapid. You should also keep up the weights to try and maintain or build the underlying muscle so a greater % of what you lose is fat.

This is quite a good overview.

https://vitals.lifehacker.com/how-to...oss-1696145766
Ah ok thank you for the advice. I will definitely check out the article. 😁
Onisparks
Rep:
?
(Original post by H_Ax123)
I am in the same position as you. Currently at 88kg and worried about excess skin. But from all the sites and forums Ive read, many say it usually affects older people who’s skin has lost its elasticity. If you are in your 20s you should hopefully be okay. Please ensure that you have balanced meals and arent trying to lose weight too rapidly - this can definitely have a negative affect on your body and can be easy to put weight back on. Also, try and get some weights training in - apparently this helps
Yeah I've started doing weights, in fact my Mum thinks it would be a good idea to try body building 😅😅😅
And im 19 so im hoping that means I won't get excess skin. Also because im pretty tall the weight is distributed so its really only my upper arms im worried about.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (252)
15.7%
Uncertainty around my education (254)
15.83%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (162)
10.09%
Isolating with family (111)
6.92%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (66)
4.11%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (136)
8.47%
Loneliness (155)
9.66%
Financial worries (63)
3.93%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (147)
9.16%
Exposure to negative news/social media (116)
7.23%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (143)
8.91%

Watched Threads