Unis where I can do a joint degree in creative writing and another subject?

Watch
lectergraham
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So for the longest time I had my heart set on doing a Psychology degree but have now begun to doubt whether that is what I really want to study in life. I've always aspired to be a writer too and was pleasantly surprised that you could do a degree in creative writing. However, I know a lot of people say this is a useless degree. So I was wondering if anyone knows of unis that off joint degrees in creative writing + another subject? I've seen that at Bath Spa you can take Psychology and Creative writing but not many others. I also cannot do an English degree since I am not taking it a-level, eek. Thank you!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lectergraham)
So for the longest time I had my heart set on doing a Psychology degree but have now begun to doubt whether that is what I really want to study in life. I've always aspired to be a writer too and was pleasantly surprised that you could do a degree in creative writing. However, I know a lot of people say this is a useless degree. So I was wondering if anyone knows of unis that off joint degrees in creative writing + another subject? I've seen that at Bath Spa you can take Psychology and Creative writing but not many others. I also cannot do an English degree since I am not taking it a-level, eek. Thank you!
Use this, then enter " creative writing and" it will then show all the joint degrees.

https://digital.ucas.com/search

Think carefully about your degree choice and whether you want the degree to be of use at the end in terms of employment.
Creative writing you are backing your own talent.
The market is saturated with psychology students.
If you arent sure, do more research and take a gap before using your one degrees worth of finance.
lectergraham
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Use this, then enter " creative writing and" it will then show all the joint degrees.

https://digital.ucas.com/search

Think carefully about your degree choice and whether you want the degree to be of use at the end in terms of employment.
Creative writing you are backing your own talent.
The market is saturated with psychology students.
If you arent sure, do more research and take a gap before using your one degrees worth of finance.
Thank you. I realised that Psychology is pretty much the most popular degree at the moment which is putting me off of it. I was thinking something like Journalism and Creative writing which I saw quite a few universities offer and although I know that writing and journalism are hard careers to get into but I'd much rather do a degree that I enjoy .
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
Thank you. I realised that Psychology is pretty much the most popular degree at the moment which is putting me off of it. I was thinking something like Journalism and Creative writing which I saw quite a few universities offer and although I know that writing and journalism are hard careers to get into but I'd much rather do a degree that I enjoy .
Lots of graduate positions dont specify any degree. Just be aware it might be difficult for employment after unless you are good enough, hence be smart to make yourself a strong candidate.
octo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Royal Holloway does English and Creative Writing, Drama and Creative Writing, and American Literature and Creative Writing. Roehampton also does Creative Writing as a solo degree alongside some joint honours, so definitely look around! The Bath Spa course sounds fantastic, especially if it combines what you're interested in!
WonderWomble
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
University of Sunderland offers English with other courses and the English degree is highly customisable.
CWPG22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did English and Creative Writing at university & it's definitely not affected the employment of people on my course, they work in fields including: secondary education, primary education, charity/non-profit, business, arts/heritage, marketing etc.

While you don't need a creative writing degree to be a writer, it does help hone your craft. You'll need to be prepared to really a LOT. Also, you could still do a Creative Writing masters, even if you did a different subject at undergraduate level.

What A-levels do you study?
lectergraham
Rep:
?
(Original post by CWPG22)
I did English and Creative Writing at university & it's definitely not affected the employment of people on my course, they work in fields including: secondary education, primary education, charity/non-profit, business, arts/heritage, marketing etc.

While you don't need a creative writing degree to be a writer, it does help hone your craft. You'll need to be prepared to really a LOT. Also, you could still do a Creative Writing masters, even if you did a different subject at undergraduate level.

What A-levels do you study?
I study psychology, sociology and criminology and I want to be in the police when I'm older, which I know you can join when you're 18 but I'd like to go to uni as a backup plan, and as you don't need a specific degree to join the force I thought something like creative writing that I'd enjoy would be a good idea :-)
CWPG22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I study psychology, sociology and criminology and I want to be in the police when I'm older, which I know you can join when you're 18 but I'd like to go to uni as a backup plan, and as you don't need a specific degree to join the force I thought something like creative writing that I'd enjoy would be a good idea :-)
There are lots of great police fast-track grad scheme that you can also do with a degree! So, that sounds like a good plan.

Film and Creative Writing is an option at a lot of good universities if you were interested in that, such as Essex and Keele. You can also study Creative Writing as a single honours. Doing something you enjoy is a great idea and can also give you loads of transferable skills useful for later life.
Miss Scarlett
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Exeter allows you to combine any two subjects into a joint honours (the option is called Flexible Combined Honours but your degree title will be whatever you studied- e.g. BA Biology and Creative Writing).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.83%
Uncertainty around my education (84)
11.4%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (79)
10.72%
Lack of purpose or motivation (94)
12.75%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.29%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (41)
5.56%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (79)
10.72%
Financial worries (50)
6.78%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.34%
Exposure to negative news/social media (45)
6.11%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.26%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (70)
9.5%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (57)
7.73%

Watched Threads