nadia.x
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I read a review from a first year medical student who said there are so many cons than pros.
some of the points stated are

- Not enough dedicated teaching facilities: They are currently occupying a very-very small section of the optometry school. They have to share lecture rooms with optometry students making it very chaotic as this forces them to 'fit' their timetable to optometry students. Additionally, they have incorporated something called teaching based learning where it is basically group work. This group poses a significant problem because there are 2-3 groups in one small room working on a workbook, it is very distracting and not very useful. Before I came to the medical school, they claimed that they were going to build a dedicated building for the medical school that would open in 2019. That plan has been scrapped and completely wiped from their website.

- There seems to be lack of support from Aston University itself. The medical school seems to be isolated from the rest of the university (although I understand that is what medicine is like; Aston does not do this in a 'good way'). It seems like we are not welcomed

- Horrible timetabling/organisation: When it comes to medical school, you would expect a timetable from 1st and 2nd year, 9am-5pm. Linking back to lack of resources and dedicated teaching facilities, we only have approx 2 lectures per day plus one group work session. While it is nothing to complain about as we have less than others, certainly this but us at a disadvantage.

the points above were identified by the student. just wanted to verify from other current medical students if these points listed above are true. thanks
Aston University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by nadia.x)
I read a review from a first year medical student who said there are so many cons than pros.
some of the points stated are

- Not enough dedicated teaching facilities: They are currently occupying a very-very small section of the optometry school. They have to share lecture rooms with optometry students making it very chaotic as this forces them to 'fit' their timetable to optometry students. Additionally, they have incorporated something called teaching based learning where it is basically group work. This group poses a significant problem because there are 2-3 groups in one small room working on a workbook, it is very distracting and not very useful. Before I came to the medical school, they claimed that they were going to build a dedicated building for the medical school that would open in 2019. That plan has been scrapped and completely wiped from their website.

- There seems to be lack of support from Aston University itself. The medical school seems to be isolated from the rest of the university (although I understand that is what medicine is like; Aston does not do this in a 'good way'). It seems like we are not welcomed

- Horrible timetabling/organisation: When it comes to medical school, you would expect a timetable from 1st and 2nd year, 9am-5pm. Linking back to lack of resources and dedicated teaching facilities, we only have approx 2 lectures per day plus one group work session. While it is nothing to complain about as we have less than others, certainly this but us at a disadvantage.

the points above were identified by the student. just wanted to verify from other current medical students if these points listed above are true. thanks
Hi Nadia!

Helen here from Aston University, just wanted to update you on a few things that have changed with AMS

- We know have a completely new Medical School facility in the Main Building of Aston. There is no longer a shared space with Optometry, and you can see a sample of the space here: https://www.facebook.com/pg/astonuni...56828881058137

- We're constantly encouraging and celebrating our medical students across campus, holding events and publicising the work they do through events.

- As our medical school grows and grows, we're adding more lectures, staff and facilities to our roster, making sure that everyone has access to the best we can offer!

If you do have any other questions, please drop us a message! *Helen
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (61)
62.89%
No (18)
18.56%
Not sure (18)
18.56%

Watched Threads